• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 A-8B

dmar836

Might as well.
Here are the extension hoses I mentioned. They could have been designed for a testing chamber or something like that but wondering what else they would attach to.

7BA8314A-B852-442D-AF45-68BCF1A18B2E.jpeg

Carl

No its an A13 regulatir on my A4 bottle .it must have been on my D2 bottle that i sold last year !

dmar836

Lol. Well, I just am too dense to see how they attach. The spring end, sure, goes to the hose but why would they have a hose clamp end rather than another male fitting?

Carl

The clamp end attaches to a fixed point in the aircraft and you plug your mask in at the other ! :)

Edward

Does it show the TURRETS ??? o_O

why yes sir it does indeed and guess what?!

they are indeed to help keep the sponges from freezing!

"Ice in the sponges may be removed by squeezing. More adequate protection can be provided by using the exhaust port shields, part No. 43B8375, stock No. 8300-700600. (See Figure 10)"

IMG_1543.jpg

Edward

I always wondered what the crazy center nose piece was for... duh, microphone!
so the instructions are to us a T-44 or ANB-M-C1 microphone . To prevent the entrance of moisture into the carbon cavity of the microphone due to "breathing" a pressure relief vent is burned by creating a tiny 0.020-inch hole by using a hot piece of steel wire by thrusting the hot wire though the back wall of the microphone cavity. you push the center to relieve the pressure build up if needed.
you then cut a small hole or slit in the bottom edge of the microphone turret of the mask then use long nosed pliers to stretch the hole in the turret large enough to push the microphone plug through form the inside. then pull the cord on through the hole and properly seat the microphone unit in the cavity.

pretty damn cool! (I think most used the T-30 throat mic though. I have yet to see a photo of an A8B with a mic cord punched through the front of it)

IMG_1552.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

the mask was intended for use only with the A-9 cloth summer helmet or the leather B-6 helmet. although I've seen pics of crew using it with A-11 among others.

it was also used with the A-8 and A-9 series regulators (I've looked at A-8 and they are pretty much identical to the A9A regulators.)
It is stated the mask may be used only with the continuous flow oxygen system and will function adequately at altitudes as high as 35,000 to 40,000 feet and the compounded latex rubber does not stiffen in the low temperatures in high altitudes.

IMG_1553.JPG

Edward

I have tracked down and acquired a green apple! my A-4 walk around bottle will arrive next week! I also acquired an A9A regulator to replace the 1944 AN 6022-1 regulator (Lion Mfg) so the A8B mask can connect to it!

A-4 Bottle 1.JPG
A-4 Bottle 2.JPG