• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1931 GOLDSMITH A-2 Limited Edition of 25

2BM2K

Stitch Count

One thing that has not been mentioned is stitch count. A lot of A2 contracts use 8 stitches per
inch but a few use 9 or 10 stitches per inch. This may not sound like a lot of difference but
it does affect the appearance, particularly around round pocket corners.

It is not possible to count the stitches in the B&W photo's of the Goldsmith but the stitching does look
look to be tight which might indicate 9 or 10 stitches/inch.

It is worth comparing the Goldsmith stitching with the V505 stitching and also Dubow stitching.
Dubow have 9/10 stitches/inch.

Goldsmith pocket
GSstitches.jpg

Aero test jacket

aerostitches.jpg

V505 pocket

505stitches.jpg

Dubow 1755 pocket

1755stitches.JPG

Ken at Aero Leather

Is there an updated image available?

There should be more photos, there are several finished but everyone in the factory is snowed under with Monday's upcoming sale on top of the Christmas rush starting.
I'll try to get Dom to get one photographed tomorrow but I've a feeling it'll be Tuesday, other than some are being done in Russet Vicenza I don't expect it'll look any different from the one here...........
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3955

I do know the first sample (the one in the pics here on VLJ) will be amongst the sale jackets, I'm told @ £450

Ken at Aero Leather

OK............these are starting to roll off the machines

This is a size 40" with a couple of inches off the length (it's going to Japan), I think there are more pics If I get any I'll post them later
Wearer is 40" but 5'11" so it's short on him, the only other sizes in the factory right now are 44"s and 46"s
Goldsmith Production.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

With shots of Headwind's version now up too we should compare details, labels are different for a start, style and some fonts.
I'm sure there will be plenty of opinions, I'm glad we went for the colour we did.
In fairness to our lining machinist I have to say her stitching is a considerably neater
Aero on the left, Headwind on the right

1931LabelCrop.jpg
Headwind Goldsmith.jpg

Last edited:

Bombing IP

With shots of Headwind's version now up too we should compare details, labels are different for a start, style and some fonts.
I'm sure there will be plenty of opinions, I'm glad we went for the colour we did.
In fairness to our lining machinist I have to say her stitching is a considerably neater
Aero on the left, Headwind on the right

View attachment 10663 View attachment 10664

Ken when doing a limited edition and having labels made is that not a big drain on the profit .Buy the way I like the black and black labels of the Goldsmith .Something else I always wondered when you acquired the Aero company name was that a very difficult process .Being that you are in Scotland and the company was in New York state ,did you buy the name off someone how does this work . I am I right in thinking that no other company can use the name any where in the world.

Rgds BIP

Ken at Aero Leather

And this is the only pic Jay's furnished to date.

I think you'll find quite a few more pics on Jay's thread

Ken when doing a limited edition and having labels made is that not a big drain on the profit .Buy the way I like the black and black labels of the Goldsmith .Something else I always wondered when you acquired the Aero company name was that a very difficult process .Being that you are in Scotland and the company was in New York state ,did you buy the name off someone how does this work . I am I right in thinking that no other company can use the name any where in the world.

Rgds BIP

It’s a shame Goldsmith didn’t make 50, making 25 was never going to prove to be financially logical but it’s been fun!!!

The Aero registration was done through Agents, I can't recall the procedure it was a long time ago.
We've had several firms try making Aero in breach of our registration...from one huge multi national to one of the firms "established" in this genre, but we do police the brand and all desisted, (Ditto The Highwayman name) we have also licenced one or two A-2 makers

Officer Dibley

So no-one on here has bought one then ? Or they'd be crowing and posing and taking selfies in elevators surely...
Perhaps everyone's now only buying Platon....... fashion is a fickle mistress