• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discussion “A Better Fighting Garment…” - A Beginner’s Guide to the US Navy’s WWII-era and later Intermediate Flight Jackets

B-Man2

Well a Surface Warfare jacket would make sense, since the guy had "Waves" rather than "Wings" on his name plate (didn't know anyone outside of aviation wore them)
Honestly looked more impressive than the fuzzball collar Brown G-1s
Here’s what they look like .

CombatWombat

Here’s what they look like .

After 5 years I'll believe that was it.....though I definitely remember him complaining about the horrible humidity we live with as he was taking off the fur collar (which this isn't made for)
But he may have had a trials jacket or was high enough in the food chain to take dress regulations as mere advice......

ZuZu

I was going through the "Better Fighting Garment" thread and noticed that there's no mention in the jump from 7823 to 7823A of the complete standardization and sameness of all contracts of the G-1 starting with the A. High pockets, short body. rounded pocket flap and collat tips and everything from RE to Star to IBF to Brill to Imperial. All basically the same jacket pattern. Anybody know the history of this? Do we have the actual "plan" i.e. pattern? I'll start a new thread about this possibly. There's a direct line from this kinda ugly pattern to the modern A-2 I think...

mulceber

Hey Jeff, that's something I've always kind of heard and inferred about the A-series jackets and following - I've just never seen any documentation on it, so I didn't want to put it down on paper when I didn't know. We absolutely could add that though - something to the effect of "starting with the A-series, the different G-1 contracts are pretty interchangeable, and it seems likely that the Navy was now providing contractors with an actual pattern to follow."

ZuZu

Hey Jeff, that's something I've always kind of heard and inferred about the A-series jackets and following - I've just never seen any documentation on it, so I didn't want to put it down on paper when I didn't know. We absolutely could add that though - something to the effect of "starting with the A-series, the different G-1 contracts are pretty interchangeable, and it seems likely that the Navy was now providing contractors with an actual pattern to follow."
I thought in one of the Japanese books there was a picture or diagram of it. I'll check.

There's no doubt though that there was an official Navy pattern- and probably done by committee of both tailors and obviously NON- tailors so it ended up being boring. IMO anyway.