• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCPS jacket

Rutger

I wonder if these are ever going to be sought-after collectors jackets.

36887.jpg

36863.jpg

I found a link https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode ... e&_cview=0 that gives a pretty accurate description of the jacket, and I'm surprised as it appears that units themselves are responsible in their choice and purchase of jackets (and supposedly other clothing). I would have thought the Pentagon decides it all.

These are about 600-700 USD retail, I think about 300-400 on ebay.
I don't like the look of it, but I also think they did their homework in getting some sort of well-thought outdoor jacket.

Willy McCoy

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on a new style of U.S.A.F. approved flight wear! How long have they been approved for flight?

HackerF15E

Within the last several years. I have yet to see one in a USAF flying unit yet, though. Still plenty of 36s and 45s in the system to be issued.

usafwso

Those are totally BUTT UGLY jackets. Why do they try to reinvent the wheel? What is so wrong with the current crop of nomex jackets? Oh, I forgot, contractors making a buck off the government dime...... Oh well :?

Weasel_Loader

I'll have to agree. Maybe they are more functional, but only you flyers know as I would have no clue as to whether or not they work better. I just know they are just about the ugliest flight kit to ever see the skies. :(

HackerF15E

usafwso said:
Those are totally BUTT UGLY jackets. Why do they try to reinvent the wheel? What is so wrong with the current crop of nomex jackets? Oh, I forgot, contractors making a buck off the government dime...... Oh well :?

I think this was a result of a bunch of new flight gear that was redesigned as part of the JSF program.

Willy McCoy

I am interested in a review of them. A four season jacket? No one here has seen them yet? I really didn't know that these jackets existed. I have never heard of them here.

Peter Graham

Well they tick all the boxes for functionality. I admit that the tan one is really awful but I could live with a well worn green one, maybe badged up. I love big pockets !

MikeyB-17

I don't think they look that bad, it's essentially a CWU with a few differences, made of different stuff. The fact that it's Gore-tex would be a big plus for me, a flight jacket that's actually waterproof would make a pleasant change.

deand

I am one of those who rejected these jackets out of hand. Yet, now owning a 45p, the look doesn't bother me as much, in general. The departure from knits at waist, cuffs and neck seem to move the jacket much farther from the flight jacket's historical lineage and more toward a civilian look to me. Maybe if they had put back the epaulettes from the old L-2B, or sharpened the points on the collar, anything to give it a greater continuity with its predecessors.

dean

USMC_GAU-21

I can say without a doubt I like the MCPS jacket. Current issue flight gear in the USMC/USN is not authorized for wear off base anyways so I don't care what it looks like. It is warm, and waterproof and I didn't have to wear a rubber poopie suit under my flight vest to stay warm and dry.

I am sorry I am not a sexy fighter pilot, but as a helicopter crewman, who is outside and gets wet, dusty, and cold this new gear is awesome. I was at Pax River when our Crew Systems division tested the gear. First to wear it here in the snow and rain. Then took it out to the desert and wore it there. Good reliable kit. Functional. Period. The troops called for new flight gear not DoD contractors.

Get your facts straight please before you state we only bought it so a contractor could make a buck. I would be very interested to hear form any other forum mates that have worn it and don't like it. But, the 5 squadrons that I flew with didn't have a problem with it.

Leather G-1's are NOT authorized for flight as well. I can link the Marine Corps Order if you like? They melt in fire. Not pretty. But out in town yes they are sharp and get the girls. In a wet, cold LZ I don't care about girls.

Sorry for the rant. But there was a lot of thought put into the next gen flight gear and making it snazzy sexy and collectable was not the intent.

/r/Dan

Peter Graham

USMC_GAU-21 said:
There was a lot of thought put into the next gen flight gear and making it snazzy sexy and collectable was not the intent.
Bet they said that about the A-2 at the time. :) Only joking, good points well made through practical experience.

HackerF15E

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Leather G-1's are NOT authorized for flight as well. I can link the Marine Corps Order if you like? They melt in fire. Not pretty

?

I see both Navy and Marine pilots wearing G-1s in flight *daily*.

HackerF15E

deand said:
move the jacket much farther from the flight jacket's historical lineage and more toward a civilian look to me.

Again, this is functional flight apparel. Historical lineage is exactly 0% of the design, evaluation, and implementation process for flight clothing.

deand

HackerF15E said:
deand said:
move the jacket much farther from the flight jacket's historical lineage and more toward a civilian look to me.

Again, this is functional flight apparel. Historical lineage is exactly 0% of the design, evaluation, and implementation process for flight clothing.

Indeed. You have rightly pointed out the superficial observations a non-serving civilian like myself would offer. Yet no one has been able to discern the functionality of epaulettes. Or collar variations. Knits had their function, I would guess, but fabric fire/water resistance advances must have spelled their doom.

dean

watchmanjimg

deand said:
Knits had their function, I would guess, but fabric fire/water resistance advances must have spelled their doom.

dean

In addition to the reasons you point out, let me add that removing the knits from the design also eliminates a need to replace them. This saves money and man-hours.

USMC_GAU-21

Hacker,

Thew wearing of the leather G-1 in the duties of flight are not authorized by NATOPS for USN/USMC Aircrew. The only people that get away with it in official capacity is HMX-1 Presidential support. For obvious reasons.

But our specific T/M/S aircraft we are prohibited to wear the jacket in flight.

Now, didn't say we "don't" do it because we all do/did.... ;) ;)

NAVPERS 15665I Navy Uniform Regs SUMMARY OF CHANGES Jan 07

6803.2b(2). – Changed “(2) Brown Leather Jacket. Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, Aerospace Experimental Psychologists, and Aerospace Physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Aviation Working Green and Navy blue coveralls. If wearing Avia­tion Working Green, the option is provided to wear either the leather flight jacket or the green uniform blouse. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Avia­tion Working Green and Navy blue coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Utilities, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue and Navy blue coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with work­ing uniforms (excluding Navy blue coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least 3/4 of the way when worn. Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in <OPNAVINST 10126.4 series>.” (Jul 06 CD).

MCO P1020.34F MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS

7005. FLIGHT CLOTHING
1. Aviation clothing and equipment will be as supplied by the U.S. Navy and by the U.S. Marine Corps. Such clothing and equipment will be worn only when and as prescribed by commanders.

2. The flight suit will be worn with flight boots, green/black cushion-sole socks, green/brown crew-neck undershirt, garrison cap, black leather nametags, and no more than two CNO/CMC-approved unit/squadron patches. The flight suit is authorized for aircrew members outside the working/squadron areas subject to the same regulations that apply to the utility uniform.

3. The Flight Jacket may be worn with the service uniform only by those Marines who have been properly issued and are required to maintain an authorized flight jacket according to existing regulations. The flight jacket may be worn with the service "B," "C," and service with sweater uniforms. These uniform combinations will only be worn on base, or while traveling in a private/government vehicle between local military facilities, or to and from a domicile. While traveling outside a military installation no stops are permitted. The jacket will not be worn when the service "A" uniform is considered more appropriate, nor will it be worn on leave or liberty, or with the utility uniform or civilian clothing. When the flight jacket is worn with the service uniform, only one unit/squadron (CNO/CMC approved) patch may be worn. The patch, if worn, will be on the right front of the jacket, level with the nametape on the left side.

4. Listed are the four types of flight jackets authorized with the service uniform:
•a. Jacket, flying, men's intermediate, type G-1 (leather)
•b. Jacket, suits, flying, winter (green, poopie suit liner)
•c. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-45 sage green)
•d. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-36 sage green)

Im just saying.....the gear needs to be functional, that's all I am saying. Jim is right, the deletion of knits means nobody has to replace them. They can work on other ALSS instead of sewing jackets.

/r/Gy Dan

HackerF15E

I read that thing three times and didn't see a reference to not being authorized to wear the G-1 during flying ops.