• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN "Jacket, Suits Flying Winter"

bebel

I open this thread about the USN nylon "Jacket, Suits Flying Winter, hoping that some of you are interested in and could give us some other informations in order to increase knowledge about it.

Informations below need to be completed, as unfortunately I did not get a lot of details about this type of jacket. All I'm writing is coming from personal observations of some jackets I can have had in my hands and of course, some USN crews pictures.

OK let's go!

Mil spéc-S-18342 JSFW were issued at the late 1950s. It was the upper part of a cold weather flying suit. But it was rapidly used more like a "simple" jacket rather than the complete two-parts suit. Although this high-waisted jacket is not very easy to wear with a good size, it's pleasant to see worn. I would add that it's light enough despite of his warm garnish.

I never got nor seen a 18342A model but there is one displayed in the "Suit Up! The flight Jacket" Kesaharu Imai's book.

The B version also was issued before 1959 as some are still "(AER)" labeled. As we know, Bureau of Naval Weapons (WEP) replaced Bureau of Aeronautic (AER) at this year.

Last 18342C was issued about 1967/68, I guess. This version was retired from service at the beginning of the 1970s when moderner flight jackets were issued to USN squadrons. However, some former pilots were keeping their old and loved "WEP". We can see such jackets with velcroed tape name and patches, from time to time . This usage ended some years later...
We could notice that only the C version has a white canvas label while the older types have a black. All zippers seem to be Conmar or Scovill.

Manufacturers that I could listed are:
- Aviators Clothing Co. (only for first and A versions?)
- Aviators Equipment Corp. (only for B version?)
- Center Mfg. Co.
- King Points Mfg.
- Satellite Outerwear Corp.
- TS Lankford & Sons Inc.
- Land Manufacturing inc.

Photos:

Mil-S-18342. Note the mention "(AER)" instead of "(WEP)".

blousons004.jpg

blousons005.jpg

Two 18342B versions.

The first was modified by riggers by adding two pockets over the originals. It is a 18342B (AER).

nick002.jpg

nick003.jpg

The second has a contract of FY 1963. It was belonging to a VF-41 and VF-84 Phantom RIO.

rlrichards035.jpg

Three 18342C versions. On some of these, note that knit cuffs are pointed.

This one is from a A-7 Corsair driver (1972):

a7002.jpg

a7009.jpg

Another C from a VP-47 pilot (1969):

vp47001.jpg

vp47007.jpg

And a third from a VF-96 Phantom RIO (1969):

vf96001.jpg

vf96013.jpg

a3vah5pilots.jpg
vfp62mccalletgrouppilot.jpg

vmcj2nfo.jpg
va1521968ussforrestal.jpg

vma242awwarshawoetting1.jpg

To be completed...

Franck

Willy McCoy

A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y great post and great collection of jackets ! The WEP jackets are my favorite for winter. Plenty of room to move and great arm length = happy wearer !

PaulGT3

Nice pics. THe last plane in the fourth to the last pic is a F-8 Crusader. I have a close friend I used to ride motocross with who was a F-8 Driver
and had to eject. Its hard to get the story out of him but it happened on a carrier take off. I have two other friends that both ejected out of F-4s on carrier take offs. I tried to stress to all three of them that the US Air Force not only has longer runways and taxi ways than a carrier but the golf courses are MUCH closer to the ready room.

bebel

Thank you to all for comments and replies. Any other add?

This is the back of the last jacket showed in the thread. The original owner was flying over Vietnam from Yankee Station with USS Enterprise in 1969 and USS America in 1970.

vf96002.jpg