• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French Air Force leather jacket

duwan34

Hi, I recently bought this jacket dating from the 70's (It is a grey leather). heu, a little "Luftwaffe" on me :lol:

IMG_3894b.jpg

This watch, recently bought too, was in dotation for pilots in these years:

DOD1.jpg

Excuse me, my english is... perfectible ;)

havocpaul

Those French Air Force jackets are great-looking and comfortable. It's nice to see one with the removable fur collar.

ghq1

An excellent simple pattern makes for a comfortable jacket . . . .I have one from Gibson & Barnes and it's fantastic with the same one piece back in goatskin, two high interior pockets, hidden storm cuffs, waist adjusters . . . although G&B's shoulder pocket is rectangular with a pen flap.

Here are some reference photos for a vintage version:

DGLFrenchAir1.jpg

DGLFrenchAir2.jpg

dujardin

yes, this is a really beautifull jacket.
i like his color.
Belgian pilots use a similar one (if not the same). years ago a friend (who father was Lt Colonel) had one on his back as daily wearer; grrrrrrr i was jalous.
probably a day i will get one; often presented on ebay.fr.
byeeeeeee marcel

duwan34

I confirm it is very and astonaching confortable. I think it's made of lamb skin. I'm very happy with it.
I want to date it (I think 70') and I will search some informations on the purpose with the label.

CHECK6

I COMFIRM IT S LAMBSKIN,ONE OF THE MAJOR BRAND WAS "K6" IN FRANCE AND FOR THE BELGIAN AIR FORCE AND ARMY LIGHT AVIATION ,THE FIRST CONTRACTS WERE FRENCH ,AND LATER MADE BY BELGIAN MANUFACTURERS,MINE IS A 1986 FRENCH BUILT.THIS JACKET GOT THE SAME CONFORT AS HIS REPLACENT CWU45P,IN THE ARMY AVIATION SOME PILOTS STILL USE IT BUT IN A DARK BROWN COLOUR.

FAB

unclegrumpy

What is the hide?

Hey, I have always wondered what went in the French fight jacket's chest flap too!

Twenty five years ago, I had a French flight jacket, and asked a friend of my Dad's who was a retired B-24 Navigator and later USAF LTC about the flap. He said from his experience while stationed in Germany, that all the French pilots always looked so good that he was sure that for their perfume!

He then went on to tell a more colorful story about how the French pilots usually brought their own wine with them….life being too short to waste it drinking German beer….and the massive parties that ensued.

I wanted a better answer about the flap, but all I remember getting is the details of how great their parties were and how popular his French pilot buddies were with the local ladies….but how there always were a few ladies left over for him and his pals!

So, what really goes under the flap?

Almagnifico

Désolé, j'ai des précisions a apporter mais je ne sais pas le dire en anglais. Je les dis donc en français, en souhaitant que vous me compreniez.

Donc, le blouson de vol français est en cuir d'agneau.
Il a une doublure matelassée amovible.
Son col est en fourrure véritable de mouton doré, coupé à 1.6mm et fait d'une seul pièce.

Le dos est d'un seul tenant (pas de couture).
Dans la doublure, une poche spéciale permet d'y glisser un gilet orange appelé gilet de piste. Celui sert de gilet de sécurité mais aussi en cas de crash, pour pouvoir être repérer rapidement. Il se passe par dessus le blouson en cuir.

La fermeture éclaire fait apparaître 2 tirettes. Une en haut, et une en bas. Personnellement, je n'ai jamais su pourquoi.

Il a été en dotation auprès du personnel navigant de 1970 à 1990 environ. Puis il a été remplacé par des blousons en tissu "Kermel".

Aujourd'hui, les élèves pilotes qui sortent de l'école de perfectionnement de Cazaux peuvent en acheter un auprès du maître tailleur (dernier contrat officiel). Etant donné que les élèves pilotes Belges passent également par cette école, c'est pour ça que les pilotes Belges peuvent porter ce type de blouson, mais il n'est pas en dotation officielle. Celà dit, quasiement tous les élèves pilotes l'achètent, même si son coût est assez important (environ 400 euros, et croyez moi, pour un élève pilote, on le sent passer)...

Certains "foyers" des bases aériennes vendent un blouson "PN" mais ce n'est pas le blouson officielle. Ce dernier est, en général en cuir de vache et moins confortable avec, parfois un dos en deux ou trois pièces de cuir.

Les modifications apportées dernièrement résident dans l'attache du col et de la doublure. Ce sont des fermetures éclaires de nos jours (avant, c'était des boutons). D'autre part, au 3/4 de l'avant bras, se situent des tricottine coupe vent.
La manche sur la poche est maintenant rectangulaire, mais certain peuvent encore avoir des poches ovales (la forme de cette dernière permettait de mettre la boussole).

De plus en plus de pilotes et d'élèves réclament ce blouson et il ne serait pas surprenant de le voir réapparaître en dotation.

Voilà.

Donc pour avoir un vrai PN, la seule solution est de passé par le maître tailleur de la BA de Cazaux.

Désolé pour la langue encore une fois.

flyboy

Wow - great jacket! I remember back in the late 70's, when I was in Paris at the big Fleamarket, I tried on on.
Almost bought it - but the guy wanted £ 120 for it. Thought it was too much :roll:
(oh well....)

Rutger

Je crois que j'ai compris environ 85% :) , mais peut-etre Marcel en Belgique, pouvez-vous traduire toute en anglais?

dujardin

hellooooooooooo

will just try with a simple google translation

-----------------------------------

Sorry, I make a clarification but I can not say it in English. I say then in French, wanting you to understand me.

So the French flight jacket is leather. (lamb)
It has a removable quilted lining.
Its neck is real fur golden sheep, cut to 1.6mm and made of a single piece.

The back is one piece (no seams).
In the lining, a special pocket allows to slide in an orange vest vest called track. He serves as a safety vest but also in case of crash, to be identified quickly. It passes over the leather jacket.

The zipper reveals two zippers. A top and a bottom. Personally, I never knew why.

It was supplied with the crew from 1970 to about 1990. Then he was replaced by cloth jackets "Kermel".

Today, students graduating from pilot school development Cazaux can buy one from the master tailor (last formal contract). Since students Belgians pilots also pass through this school, this is why the Belgian pilots can wear this type of jacket, but it is not official staffing. With that said, quasiement all student pilots buy it, even if its cost is quite large (about 400 euros, and believe me, for a student pilot, we feel it pass) ...

Some "home" air bases sell a jacket "PN" but this is not the official jacket. The latter is usually cowhide and less comfortable with, sometimes back in two or three pieces of leather.

The recent changes in the resident's neck and attaches to the lining. The zippers are today (before it was buttons). On the other hand, the 3/4 of the forearm, are of tricottine windbreaker.
The piece is now on the pocket square, but some may still be pockets oval (the shape of the latter allowed to put the compass).

More and more pilots and students requiring this jacket and it would not be surprising to see it reappear in staffing.

That's it.

So for a real PN, the only solution is passed through the master tailor BA Cazaux.

Sorry for the language again.

---------------------------------

after reading in french than in english; i think the google translation is good

;) ;) ;)