• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My well worn ELC RW 1401 A2 Part 3

fleet16b

Well over the years I have read about many many ways to age our repro flight jackets. Some of these ways have proven to show not too bad results .
However, none of these methods seem to catch the real look.
When I was a kid hanging around airports with my Dad, many of the old guys would joke with a newbie when he showed up in a brand new shiney flight jacket.
They were all wearing their old worn jackets and the new guys always wanted theirs to look the same. As the old pilots said, " you have to earn that look thru experience , you can;t make them look that way". The old boys wore their old leathers as a badge of distinction.
I think they were right, the only way a leather jacket will get "the look" is thru use . Nothing can artificially create the wear and tear of use.

Here are some more updated pics of my jacket
Bought in 2003 , she now has close to 1000 flight hours on her.
98 % of those hours are done in my 1940 Fleet Finch biplane

P1020260.jpg

LEFT ARMPIT FRONT
P1020257.jpg

RIGHT ARM FRONT
P1020256.jpg

RIGHT ARM REAR SHOWING RUBBING AT THE ELBOW FROM THE TIGHT COCKPIT OF THE AIRPLANE
P1020255.jpg

REAR VIEW SHOWING WEAR MARKS FROM THE SHOULDER HARNESS BUCKLES

P1020254.jpg

COLLAR

P1020253.jpg

LEFT SHOULDER FRONT

P1020252.jpg

RIGHT SHOULDER FRONT

P1020251.jpg

RIGHT ARM

P1020250.jpg

LEFT ARM ELBOW REAR

P1020249.jpg

RIGHT POCKET

P1020248.jpg

FRONT TOP HALF

P1020247.jpg

FRONT FULL

Falcon_52

I absolutely agree. There is nothing better than a jacket that has serious mileage on it. It is wonderful to see your jacket after use in it's original application. It really looks great - something that can't be duplicated via artificial aging.

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Noel

fleet16b

Thanks for the comments :)

I am sure there will be some forum members that will be horrified :eek: by the condition of my jacket but it was bought to be used for the purpose it was designed for - Flying
None of my flying clothing collection is for display and all of it is used.
Nothing against the collectors that buy repro jackets and then store then away to be kept in mint condition. (That is wise with the originals). To me that is a waste but hey, everyone has their own style.
I also have the ELC B oF B Irvin and in a couple of more years it will be just as worn as the A2

Looking at my pics , I never realized just how abused the jacket has become but I will say , it is one tough jacket. It is a testament to the quality of the ELC Product
Though the finish is not robust, the horsehide is still strong and not getting thin in any of the high wear areas. Sometimes I think about sending it to Eastman to be dyed but the jacket has gone thru alot of flying adventures with me and it shows.
Next , I would like to obtain an A-1 Jacket but I doubt that the capeskin would stand up to this much abuse

Just off the top of my head, the jacket has approx 90,000 flying miles on it :!: :shock:

Tim P

I think a worn rather than aged jacket is preferable.
If that were mine I would treat it with pecards now, none of the character would be lost in my opinion but that 'sanded' look would mellow.
Of course it is yours so I am not suggesting you should, rather that I would. :)

Vcruiser

Tim P said:
If that were mine I would treat it with pecards now, none of the character would be lost in my opinion but that 'sanded' look would mellow.
Of course it is yours so I am not suggesting you should, rather that I would. :)

I agree. This wear stage is when Pecards is more useful to blend and soften the harshness.

fleet16b

Vcruiser said:
Tim P said:

I agree. This wear stage is when Pecards is more useful to blend and soften the harshness.

Believe it or not, I treat the jacket every fall with Pecards.
Once applied it really looks good again and softens all the scuff marks but once the Pecards soaks in it doesn't stay that way and goes back to looking like in the pictures.
I think I am applying it correctly

Tim P

Good for you, a mix of resistence to abuse and response to proper care is why leather is even used at all for boots or work clothing.

zoomer

fleet16b said:
Thanks for the comments :)

I am sure there will be some forum members that will be horrified :eek: by the condition of my jacket but it was bought to be used for the purpose it was designed for - Flying
On the contrary. Most of us nonpilots are envious! :mrgreen:

Next , I would like to obtain an A-1 Jacket but I doubt that the capeskin would stand up to this much abuse
Look for one of ELC's old-type steerhide A-1s. I like mine quite a lot, inauthentic tho it is (they were drawn up from photographs).
4181346597_7b1487837a_z.jpg

Just off the top of my head, the jacket has approx 90,000 flying miles on it :!: :shock:
...or a little better than 3 1/2 times around the world. :eek: Magnificent!!!

You've inspired me to stuff and soak my old and somewhat beat ELC 1401. It's got incipient scuffing just like yours, but doesn't get out, because it's too tight and one pocket's come part way unsewn. We'll see what happens...

fleet16b

Look for one of ELC's old-type steerhide A-1s. I like mine quite a lot, inauthentic tho it is (they were drawn up from photographs).
4181346597_7b1487837a_z.jpg

Awesome A-1 I really like the look in horsehide . :mrgreen:
I have always loved the look and nostalgia of the A-1 design
Must get one. :!:
Definitely tougher looking than the capeskin examples.
The russett look reminds me of how my A2 looked at one time
Thanks for posting the pic.