• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side by side: Saddlery and (later) Cooper A2s

Jason

Some time ago, I mused over the differences between an actual issue 88 Saddlery, and a later 'dumbed down' Cooper orange tagged A2.

Here's a quick photo essay with comments. Its interesting to compare that given the same lineage, the two products are quite different.

First of all: the contenders. Saddlery on the left, Cooper on the right.
Saddlery001.jpg

Immediately visible is the more blousy cut of the Cooper. The leather dye shade is more on the 'seal brown' side of the colour chart too. But what the photos can't convey is the leather weight and 'hand'. From my point of view, the Cooper has a thinner / lighter weight leather, and is softer & more pliable - but not by much.

Lets look at the epaulettes now. This picture probably best depicts the actual colours of the leather too BTW. But also note that the Saddlery has a nice taper, the Cooper is quite straight cut.
Saddlery010.jpg

Lining & labels next.
The Cooper lining is thinner, less robust, but slightly more comfortable when worn against the skin (I don't often wear long sleeved shirts) and in my opinion has a more pleasing colour. The Saddlery has a slightly rougher texture to its lining, but it definitely feels more robust. As for the labels - not much needs be said.
Saddlery009.jpg

On to hardware. Lets take a peek at zips... the Saddlery has an Ideal zipper:
Saddlery007.jpg

Cooper gives you a plain YKK:
Cooper008.jpg

And what about throat latches? Saddlery have a nice wide & purposeful latch:
Saddlery005.jpg

Cooper provides something that, I think, is more just for show. Thinner guage metal & plastic coated. Functional, but only just.
Cooper006.jpg

The knits show some marked differences too. Saddlery knits on the left are thicker and have more elastic to them, have more of a grey/purple tint, and as the photo shows, appears to pill a bit more. I'm guessing the Saddlery product uses a little more synthetic contents in their knits. Cooper's knits on the other hand have streched a bit and are loose, and are more brown in colour.
Saddlery004.jpg

Closeups of the leather, Saddlery:
Saddlery002.jpg

Cooper:
Cooper003.jpg

To me, its pretty easy to see why the Saddlery products (and very similar, if not identical) very early Cooper A2s of the time are far superior and desirable to later 'dumbed down' versions of the Cooper A2.

CHECK6

It's crazy my two Cooper's got all the characteristics(colour,latch,zipper) except the lining of the saddlery ,??????????????

FtrPlt

This is a duplicate to my post on the Saddlery thread but think it more relevent here:

For comparison purposes, here are a few shots of my early Cooper orange-tag vs my 1988-spec Saddlery.

As opposed to Jason's later "dumbed-down" orange tag, note aside from the external finish (possibly just the topcoat?), the jackets share just about everything else.

The knits -- same color/weight/weave. Cooper left; Saddlery right
CoopervsSaddlery1.jpg

The epaulettes -- same tapered design. Cooper top; Saddlery bottom
CoopervsSaddlery2.jpg

The lining and hardware -- same throat hooks (minor difference in the rivet plates on interior). Cooper top; Saddlery bottom
CoopervsSaddlery3.jpg

The zippers -- same brass design with same chrome Ideal puller. Cooper left; Saddlery right
CoopervsSaddlery4.jpg

The early Cooper label. I think the later versions added a lot of text below the wing alluding to A-2 heritage, etc.
CoopervsSaddlery.jpg

ADDED:
Here's a shot of my 3 Cooper jackets (Saddlery on the left; a less-worn early orange tag in the center; and my heavily-worn, BX purchased orange-tag).
All share the same heavy knits. The lining on the right-most jacket is more an olive color which I suspect is bleed through from the leather over the years. The jacket in the center has a lining color very close to the Saddlery. Both of these jackets have seen similar amounts of wear.
All three are identical insofar as cut of the jacket is concerned -- same size arm holes, same size arms, identical construction, etc. The leather feels about the same weight but but orange tags lack the outer finish of the Saddlery.
CoopervsSaddlery5.jpg

arclight

FtrPlt;
Very nice jackets you posted here, particularly the one on the right. Looks like it's got some nice character going on. Looking at the collar and pocket it appears like a 10yr. old horsehide example.

Thank you for your military service.

Regards, arclight

usafwso

If I could just quote the late great Joan Crawford, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO WIRE HANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: