• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Star Sportswear

Chandler

Okee -- here's my first attempt with FotoBuket, hope it works, otherwise I'm sure Allen will make fun of me for the rest of the week. ;)
I bought this Star off E-Bay a few years back, it started of smooth (as some have seen in these jackets), but you could see a fine pebble throughout the hide -- almost goatskin-like. With wear (but not continuous), more of the grain character is coming out. Hopefully I've also made some shots that show the supple quality of the hide itself. I'll try to get some pics as-worn sometime too.

front03.jpg

front02.jpg

front.jpg

armgrain.jpg

armbk.jpg

back.jpg

Chandler

Chandler

Not sure if that's a compliment... ;)

When I first saw it in person I was taken by that pebbly texture. Now, if I can just get it broken in some more -- need better jacket weather.

Chandler

taikonaut

Those modern Cooper A2 are not replicas but remake, I like their goatskin the ones they made in the late 80s early 90s and from the points of view as a wearable jacket the earlier Coopers uses nice skin selection, it was perfect. However vintage originals in my opinion has a different take as a result of the war were quality control is not so strict which result in a jacket having varied quality of hides and flaws with aim of practical utilitarian use, this gives it characters. Repros with a few exceptions seems to me to put it another word "steralised", too PC, decent and afraid to be loud. On my other thread about grains someone mentioned George Hamilton wimpy guy with fake tan pretending to be tought, I would say that analogy to me is true to a certain extent for many repros including remakes like Cooper, US Wings et all. The Jack Palance analogy reminds me of not only deep wild grains but someone who is rebellious, unafraid to break all the rules and stand out ready for action that is liken to an original jacket.
I think when you put on a leather jacket if you get reaction from the public then it is a good jacket. In that respect originals for obvious reasons fail to dissappoint.

Chandler

taikonaut said:
On my other thread about grains someone mentioned George Hamilton wimpy guy with fake tan pretending to be tough,

Guess they've never seen The Victors.

Chandler

airfrogusmc

I've always like Eastmans Star but I do like a bit more grain than what on your Star. Still its a nice jacket.

Andrew

My 2 yr old McCoys Dubow has developed an overall pebble grain very much like what i'm seeing here (it does have larger creases in various places too). I was wondering if over time the leather dehydrates a little so the leather becomes both more textured and a little stiffer where it's not creased.

If you're brave you could always try Zoomers recipe of run hot water over the leather, don't get the knits and lining wet, then throw it in a cool dryer with a damp towel for half an hour....

Clark J

Give it the hot water!!!Then twist it and stomp it and let dry in a ball,I did it to my Monarch and it made a big difference!!