• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII USN Dungarees Question

dmar836

Does anyone have an original pair?
I've been studying these for a while and am fairly confident with their construction. Want to make a pair.
My uncle served on CV-11 during the war and I would likely stencil his name. These would be my third pair of trousers(1st was M-42s and recently, a repro of my favorite Lucky dungarees I've been wearing daily).
I have a pattern made from pre-war undress whites and I think they are quite similar except for the patch pockets. Wanting to make the single seam patch pocket version first and the earlier slash pockets later.
Wondering if any possessing member might take some simple measurements for me.
I posted on USMF but it has gone ignored(somewhat understandably) and Denim Bros is more about other vintage styles.
Just a long shot. If nothing else, I can extrapolate from online pics.
Dave

Thomas Koehle

unfortunately nothing like this in my collection - cld you pls post pics of your M42 with manufacturer - I'm also looking for a pair for myself

don`t ya think the base-shape of undress is completely different????

dmar836

Not really, at least from what I can see. The undress whites were very early or pre-war so construction variations I see are interesting. I did modify the pattern but started with the whites. I'm nearing the completion of the dungarees but have no idea if they will fit with the high waist or if I will need the darts that they all had (the whites did not) and I do question my pocket placement without an original. Single seam construction makes it really hard to judge. There were quite a few wartime dungaree variants but, unlike A-2s, little hint to the contractors.
The M42 original was sent back to a fellow collector in Ohio back in '95 or so.
I can post some pics of my projects when completed if anyone cares.
Dave

dmar836

This is what I came up with. I actually went with the prewar "inner" patch pocket style. Inner and outer seams were felled. Single seam is a whole different beast - tried it but the pattern needs more work. I plan to do that pattern later.