• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWI German pilot's jacket

SuinBruin

This one is a little different.

Go here.

Photos and description for posterity's sake...

From the estate of First & Second War Goblet recipient Erich Otto Friedrich Mix. This coat has a fine smooth-finished dark brown cowhide leather exterior. The collar is in black bear fur and is stitched in place to a strip of black cotton, that in turn, is stitched to the dark brown cowhide leather. The front has a vertical row of five buttons on the right side, each of which is covered in a thin layer of fine brown leather on its upper, with a black finished non-magnetic metal core which is twice marked "ASTOR 36" on the reverse, facing an equal number of black cotton button loops on the left side. Each of the leather covered buttons is backed by a gray plastic button that appears just inside the opening. An additional leather covered replacement button has been sewn in place just inside the opening on the right side near the bottom of the coat. The bottom on the exterior is trimmed in a 100 mm wide band of black bear fur. The body of the interior is also lined in black bear fur, as are both sleeves, with black cotton trim just inside the opening on both sides and a wide band along the bottom, all of which is padded. Each cuff is trimmed in black cotton along the open edge, the black bear fur lining at the opening incorporating a 90 mm band of black cotton extending from the core of the cuff and is elasticized at the opening. The coat measures 520 mm across the shoulders and 700 mm in length overall, exhibiting separation of the black bear fur lining from the body of the coat in two locations and exposing the underside of the cowhide leather, the brown cowhide nicely toning on the exterior, displaying a nice texture to both the leather and the fur, along with quality workmanship, the remainder of the stitching intact. Near extremely fine.
g_946_1.jpg

g_948_1.jpg

Smithy

Now you know why Luftstreitkräfte pilots were so keen to get their hands on and use British flying coats ;)

Pilot

Now you know why Luftstreitkräfte pilots were so keen to get their hands on and use British flying coats ;)
Yes in deed , the Fliegertruppen and Luftstreitkräfte were very keen on class and quality...check out the photos available on the net...
They certainly would never had adorned such a ridiculous drape.

Whatsit

I wonder what the pilots really thought of it at the time? Seems to me they’d think it looked more like a ladies jacket then a men’s.

Smithy

I have quite a lot of photos of Luftstreitkräfte aircrew wearing captured British flying coats. The best though has to be Chas Jeffs of 56 Sqn RFC standing next to Bruno Loerzer of Jasta 26 after being shot down by him. Both Jeffs and Loerzer are wearing British flying coats, Loerzer's almost certainly one of the most sort after - a Burberry Burfron.

Pilot

I wonder what the pilots really thought of it at the time? Seems to me they’d think it looked more like a ladies jacket then a men’s.
Short jackets were totally useless ( to protect from the cold) in open cockpits..they wore mostly leather coats or long wool coats.

Pilot

I have quite a lot of photos of Luftstreitkräfte aircrew wearing captured British flying coats. The best though has to be Chas Jeffs of 56 Sqn RFC standing next to Bruno Loerzer of Jasta 26 after being shot down by him. Both Jeffs and Loerzer are wearing British flying coats, Loerzer's almost certainly one of the most sort after - a Burberry Burfron.
Yup agree, saw this photo somewhere in the net.

Smithy

Short jackets were totally useless ( to protect from the cold) in open cockpits..they wore mostly leather coats or long wool coats.

Actually the two issued RFC jackets were shorter not full length, same as the issue RNAS coats. This was because many in the mid stages of the war wore thigh high fur lined or wool lined boots. The full length flying coats fell out of favour very quickly once the first pattern Sidcots became standard issue in the first months of 1918.

Whatsit

My mum’s cousin in Australia married an old luftwaffa pilot. He died of cancer soon after they married but she still has all his uniform. His leather jacket she says is black. She won’t give any more detail then that. Any idea what type that would be?

SuinBruin

Interesting discussion. You'd think they would provide a photo of Mix wearing the jacket if they had one. The only WWI era photo that purports to be of Mix I could find shows the pilot wearing a more traditional (and longer) jacket. (The other guy is IDed as a mechanic.)

3e7f34497d41a8fb2408eb08985aea42.jpg

Also food for thought... men's buttons are usually on the wearer's right, as on this jacket, and women's buttons are on the left. Not sure that such was the case in Imperial Germany but if it was, this is probably a man's coat. Certainly the bear fur lining would seem to be a more masculine than feminine choice, but who knows?

Pilot

1DDB1E1B-88FC-49E9-B494-67CD2F0EFC35.jpeg
My mum’s cousin in Australia married an old luftwaffa pilot. He died of cancer soon after they married but she still has all his uniform. His leather jacket she says is black. She won’t give any more detail then that. Any idea what type that would be?
For Luftwaffe, its maybe one like this...

Pilot

WW1 Imperial Fliegertruppen...

F69DB820-4636-4A2F-B2B7-A51BF79D0DEB.jpeg
8D54A139-BB43-4D3A-BC97-1BDE6D150B3D.png
C313D8ED-6BA5-4C40-8DA8-CADB120B6D81.png
Interesting discussion. You'd think they would provide a photo of Mix wearing the jacket if they had one. The only WWI era photo that purports to be of Mix I could find shows the pilot wearing a more traditional (and longer) jacket. (The other guy is IDed as a mechanic.)

View attachment 8149
Also food for thought... men's buttons are usually on the wearer's right, as on this jacket, and women's buttons are on the left. Not sure that such was the case in Imperial Germany but if it was, this is probably a man's coat. Certainly the bear fur lining would seem to be a more masculine than feminine choice, but who knows?

A few photos showing the jacket I got...( but no “Lady’s dream” made out of bear skin...)

Last edited:

Smithy

Man, look at those leggings

Those are fug boots, originally designed by Lanoe Hawker. He had Harrods make the first pair to his specs, after which they (called the Charfor by Harrods) were trialled by 24 Sqn. They became a service issue item in December 1916 when they were designated "Boots, Thigh" but were commonly known in service circles as fug boots.