• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 USN jacket beyond repair??

jcf

I was given my dad's jacket a few years ago. I have been told it is too fragile to attempt a repair. If it can't be repaired, is there a way to use the lining in a custom made jacket? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230311_132720.jpg
    20230311_132720.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 20230311_132702.jpg
    20230311_132702.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230311_132644.jpg
    20230311_132644.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 73

mulceber

I think it absolutely could be repaired, but it's never going to be in wearable condition again. Once shearling starts experiencing significant blow-outs like that, the whole garment becomes prone to it. You could turn it into a nice display piece though. Here's one person who has a track record of restoring vintage flight jackets: https://www.greatleather.com/

There are others on here as well who could do a good job - maybe even a better job. The VLJ's Steve Sellers (@STEVE S. ) would be someone to talk to as well.

As for recycling the material into the lining for another coat, that wouldn't work either - the same thing that makes the jacket not reparable (at least not to a wearable state) makes it not recyclable. The material's just too fragile.

Micawber

Repair for display yes, to wear no. There is no lining as such as the woolly fleece inside is the outside of the sheep and the outside of the jacket is the skin of the same individual animal.
Keep that one as a family heirloom and if you want one to wear buy a reproduction of the same jacket.

JonnyCrow

I did a jacket exactly like this, the guys saw the state at the beginning, and I wouldn't like to do another, it was hard work, at finish it was only for display on a bust or mannequin, I agree with the comments, save it for what it is about a repro for wearing

Dumpster D

What an awesome Jacket!! I would seriously frame that Jacket in a shadow box, and put it on display like you'd see a hockey Jersey at a sports bar for example. it's got some proud history and provenance! Wow! Sure, It could be repaired correctly with a bit of skill and patience. However, at this point it's not meant for wearing...so that might just be a project for another day...in the meantime, there's some very high quality reproductions available of this type of Jacket from several different makers if you're looking for something to wear. That jacket 'was there' you know? It could tell a few stories.