• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would Any of 'The Few' have worn A-2's.

devilish

This question popped into my head while emailing JC about a jacket. Would any of the foreign airmen that fought in The Battle of Britain have had an A-2?
Americans were forbidden under the Neutrality act but some did take part. I'm guessing that generally uniforms as close to RAF issue as possible would have been worn. If you were one of the Americans brave enough to fly and not only risk death but possible imprisonment upon returning to the U.S. if you survived, then advertising it by wearing an A-2 might not have been smart. Just thought I'd throw it out there to the historians.

flyboy

A number of Norwegian pilots escaped to UK after April 9 1940 when their country was attacked by the Nazis.
They all could have participated in Battle of Britain but due to rules and regulations they were sent for more training in "Little Norway" - an airfield outside Totonto, Canada.
When they returned to fly and fight for RAF in 1941-42 they were equipped with A2 jackets.
And many of them went on flying in them.

This photo shows pilots from 331 Norwegian Squadron. The guy on the wing is wearing an A2.

CBI

If any AAF guys were recruited, they certainly could have brought over thier A-2's. All you need is one..........