• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why were Navy jackets longer in the body than AAF jackets?

Jake431

The title pretty much says it all. If this has been covered before, I apologize, but a cursory examination of the threads did not reveal it. I've always liked vintage Navy jackets because I don't need to order a repro with added torso length. But the question I have is why were Navy jackets made longer? The reason AAF jackets were cut short makes sense (sitting in the cockpit without it riding up), so why were Navy jackets so different?

OperationCoffee

A wild assed guess- because the navy worried about water getting in. I have never even noticed navy jackets being longer

Jake431

All the M-422A's I've had - one original, one repro, which is admittedly not many - plus the ones I've tried on - had much longer bodies than either reproduction or original A-2's I've had, or tried on.

ZuZu

The title pretty much says it all. If this has been covered before, I apologize, but a cursory examination of the threads did not reveal it. I've always liked vintage Navy jackets because I don't need to order a repro with added torso length. But the question I have is why were Navy jackets made longer? The reason AAF jackets were cut short makes sense (sitting in the cockpit without it riding up), so why were Navy jackets so different?
It sorta ended in the 50s- some makers started making shorter G-1s and by the 1960s the G-1 was shorter.

Jake431

I know all this related to design and when it ended; what I've never heard is anyone have an explanation for why. Why did the Navy say "we should make a flight jacket that seems too long to be worn comfortably zipped sitting down flying a plane" - obviously they didn't say this, they made a deliberate choice, and I am hoping to learn what that choice was made for.

CBI

this is a good question - I wish I knew. I prefer the longer torso, I think it looks better, a more proportioned look.

Erwin

All the M-422A's I've had - one original, one repro, which is admittedly not many - plus the ones I've tried on - had much longer bodies
What was the difference in comparison between the length of WW2 and the early 60s jackets in the same size?

The shorter jackets are very comfy, but usually, for a fitter body type - these don't look good on a fatter person. The best option is to own and use both types, longer and shorter ;)

I assume that the change in design was related to the reduced amount of used leather per jacket. When you make a few K saving a few inches makes a big difference - what for any business is always a great thing. I assume also, that a shorter jacket is more comfy when put on the flight suit.

bseal

My uneducated guess is G-forces would lengthen the spinal column a bit and one would need longer apparel (and maybe a cape with an animal themed costume) to accommodate such.

And I am so wrong.

IMG_2654.jpeg
IMG_2653.jpeg

Last edited:

bseal

A more sensible response could be that its predecessor, the leather 37J1, was a longer cut and they simply followed suit.

Silver Surfer

who knows? it may have been something as obscure as issued naval pilot trousers had lower pockets, and thus, no need for shorter length jackets,, as against high pocket aaf trousers that would require shorter jackets to gain access to the trouser pockets. except to the m or g series inside snap pocket the pockets on both the navy and aaf jackets were basically useless for anything above and beyond carrying smokes and a lighter.

Last edited: