• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White paint on WW2 A2 jackets

P-47 thunderbolt

D-Day preparations. June issue of Flypast magazine. This airman already has some on the sleeve
20240513_093737.jpg

Erwin

Like it was once stated here, it is not a paint. It is a tanning process flaw. This time documented on A2 jacket ;)

B-Man2

So do you think he had any clue as to why he was painting those stripes on the aircraft ?
I bet not . It was prior to D-Day and he was probably given some excuse about why it needed to be done but not the real story.

Smithy

So do you think he had any clue as to why he was painting those stripes on the aircraft ?
I bet not . It was prior to D-Day and he was probably given some excuse about why it needed to be done but not the real story.

The painting of white stripes on aircraft for Operation Rutter and later D-Day was carried out by the groundcrew which makes me think this is a photo-op by the base PR officer (probably the guy smiling behind the wing). The base PR fellow has dragged this poor sap out to paint a bit on the aircraft for a few snaps for the papers back home after the op has been carried out.

Erwin

Hey B-Man2,

Really good question if this person could understand what' going on...Maybe he had a clue even a bit, such a condensation of forces and massive preparation were done. I believe these guys had a understanding what is going on, but not exactly when.

I found some information about this picture Baugher: B-26B-15-MA 41-31577 Y-AN 553rd BS, 386th BG, 9th AF) crash landed at unknown location in France Jul 31, 1944.

Erwin

Not bad at all @Pilot, just why in this thread ;) LW Foster's jackets are really nice, like you said fixing these is in fact very easy task, enjoy!