• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Jacket Identification

Ken at Aero Leather

I've asked our despatch dept to check the rate when we collect on Aero's account. I know it'll be nothing like the prices you've been quoted................especially now I see you've asked for the price for a 3lbs parcel, it'll be a fair bit heavier than that

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

It would also be much less if the jacket was packed fairly tightly in thick polythene (as opposed to a box) to reduce the size. Air shipping rates are largely calculated by size and it won't hurt the jacket to be tightly packed for a few days.

Anyone shipping a used jacket by a carrier should bear this in mind

tibor

So, Spitfireace, Maybe you could take a little drive cross the border and ship it from Blaine. The USPS is sometimes a little pricey, but more like $60-75 for something like that.

Smithy

I was flabbergasted by the quotes for postage from Canada to Scotland and actually went into the Canada Post site.

I came away with some very different quotes. I found that for a 60cm x 50cm x 10cm box weighing 5kg that the price was $99.61 for surface, $169.33 for what they call Xpresspost and $298.80 for "Priority". I think you might have done something wrong with the rate calculator!

If you're going to do it take up Ken's offer with DHL that's a very fair price.

Spitfireace

I was flabbergasted by the quotes for postage from Canada to Scotland and actually went into the Canada Post site.

I came away with some very different quotes. I found that for a 60cm x 50cm x 10cm box weighing 5kg that the price was $99.61 for surface, $169.33 for what they call Xpresspost and $298.80 for "Priority". I think you might have done something wrong with the rate calculator!

If you're going to do it take up Ken's offer with DHL that's a very fair price.
Umm... well not sure if I did something incorrectly, but those are still not good rates. I wouldn't bother with surface it takes way too long. So the next best is $170 to get there? Still outrageous. I like Ken's price much better though, so I'm going to e-mail him at Aero and see how to set that up. Maybe we can get this thing figured out yet :) Not sure how your quotes came out lower.... but as I say not really acceptable anyhow. Canada Posts and Couriers shipping from Canada seem to have some of the highest rates, and I don't know how business can get done as far as people ordering from Canada if the rates are going to be that high. I don't ship myself usually, so I can't really say firsthand, but I have checked all I can find on the internet and it seems to be a general concensus of very high rates.

Spitfireace

So, Spitfireace, Maybe you could take a little drive cross the border and ship it from Blaine. The USPS is sometimes a little pricey, but more like $60-75 for something like that.
I did actually look at that, and it's something of a thing apparently. There's one guy in Ontario who had a book dealer business and ended up being a driver of books and other items across the border to be shipped out from the states. Actually you need a passport now to drive across the border from Canada and I don't have one at this time....since 911 they've gotten uptight. Used to be you could drive across with a BC driver's licence and pick up gas, and cheap cheese, chicken, and milk. And maybe a six pack of beer. Now, it's too much trouble.

Spitfireace

a friend gave it to me, cause he could'nt fit into it. So anyhoo now it's mine... to have the responsibilty for. We have a responsiblity to preserve the past......

Ken at Aero Leather

I hope Hugh doesn't mind me posting these pics but Greg, aided by Samantha, has done a wonderful job of the restoration, right now the jacket is winging it's way back to Canada.
I'd have to say, when it arrived we weren't sure whether to send it straight back, give it the Last Rites or have a go at fixing it, it was one of the worst condition jackets we've ever had to restore.
Thunder Bay Restoration.jpg
Thunder Bay Restoration. lining.jpg

Now it's ready for another half century at least..............no idea why the pics have flipped????
Thunder Bay Restoration.jpg
Thunder Bay Restoration. lining.jpg
Thunder Bay Restoration. new facing.jpg

Spitfireace

Thanks to AeroLeather team and Greg, Denny, Sam, and of course Ken. Just trying to get it today at DHL but Canada Customs have pegged it as needing Duty etc. Which is BS because it's a repair not a new jacket. Besides the point. Can't wait to try it on. I'll see it on Monday ... DHL had a printout issue too.. so I gave up for today because I have to go to Canada Customs to plead my case with a waybill printout that DHL can't give me cause their down. Otherwise it's almost hundred dollars to get it. Waited this long.....so what's another few days?

Spitfireace

Thanks to AeroLeather team and Greg, Denny, Sam, and of course Ken. Just trying to get it today at DHL but Canada Customs have pegged it as needing Duty etc. Which is BS because it's a repair not a new jacket. Besides the point. Can't wait to try it on. I'll see it on Monday ... DHL had a printout issue too.. so I gave up for today because I have to go to Canada Customs to plead my case with a waybill printout that DHL can't give me cause their down. Otherwise it's almost hundred dollars to get it. Waited this long.....so what's another few days?
Finally got the jacket yesterday. The waybill was marked repair so it's no fault of Aero that Canada Customs wanted Duty. I had to prove that I had sent the jacket over there 10 months ago by producing the original waybill. Then I was questioned as to why I would send a jacket to the UK instead of using a local person. The truth is I don't know of a local person who would do a restoration, and also I explained that if I did, then why would I pay a lot of money to send it overseas? So I guess I understand that when I think about it, if I went to a local person, under our taxation laws I would be charged for what's known as GST and PST here (12% total) for labour. But I did have to pay for shipping so it all evens out, but thankfully I didn't have to pay tax on top of it.
The jacket itself turned out as well I could hope. You'd have to be Harry Potter to turn the leather like new again. It's a labour of love really. Just because a vintage jacket is not in collector pristine condition is not to me a reason to put it in the trash can. It wears every scar from it's seventy year history proudly like a battle hardened warrior. The new lining is super, it's going to be cozy warm this winter, can't wait to wear it. Again, thanks to Aero for not giving up on it.

Hugh

Roughwear

The whites have a bluish tint. If it’s a muddy, gray or bluish white, or has cheap look to it, or makes you feel depressed, it’s not vintage.

Cheap, modern fast-fashion clothing is made on the cheap. The fabrics, prints and designs will have that more mass-produced look. Colors will be cheaper-looking. Prints may feature colors not complementary. It may attract you like eye candy, but the effect wears off quickly and can make you feel depressed, irritated, or nauseated. Not vintage.

If you are referring to the jacket which is the subject of this thread then it is a vintage Canadian jacket from the 1940s and your comments would not apply to this one!