• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Brooks jackets fitment

danielzink

I've heard rumor that the older Brooks Cafe style (and vintage leather jackets as a whole) have a "slimmer" fit per size than current era jackets.

ie: if I'm currently wearing a 44 River Road with a decent liner...should I be looking for a older 46 Brooks ?

Opinions/Thoughts ?

Thanks, Dan

johnwayne

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.
Think you'll find that most here would always say that certainly WWII era jackets are on the whole at least one size smaller than today's fit, due to the fact your Mr Average back in the day was smaller than we are! I'm led to believe guys then we're on average 5'5" height with a 38" chest whereas now I think we are 40" chest and 5'10" average, however, as with most clothing there are variations even comparing two of supposedly the same size so the general rule of thumb is to gat the actual measurements if you can't try on before you buy! Various discussions have popped up here that prove there is/was big fluctuations and /or wrongly labelled vintage jackets!!

Roughwear

Spot on Wayne. There was much variation in the tagged size WW2 jackets such as Irvins and A2s. The current measurements are always important if you want the jacket to fit. I have seen size 44 RW A-2s which fit like a Wartime 40 and others which fit like a 46!

Members online

Latest posts