• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanson v. Vanson Associates

cgreen

Happy 4th of July to everyone in the States, hope it's been a good and safe one thus far.

Can anyone tell me the difference between jackets made under the standard Vanson label and the Vanson Associates label?

Are both of then referring to Vanson Leathers, and do both indicate that the jackets were made in the U.S.? This is confounding me and your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks much, enjoy the rest of the day, looking forward to your thoughts.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 9.58.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 9.58.51 PM.png
    743 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 9.59.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 9.59.06 PM.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 10.01.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 10.01.08 PM.png
    530.6 KB · Views: 74

Juanito

I would guess that the business was named Vanson Associates in the past, since appears that the Vanson Associates labeled jackets are "vintage." They changed the name at some point for any number of reasons. My bet is that they are the same.

You could always send them a e-mail asking. They are very responsive.

Last edited:

Juanito

I did a quick search on the Massachusetts Secretary of State website. It is the same company still owned by Michael van der Sleesen, first filed in 1976.

cgreen

Oh thank you so much, so Vanson Associates and Vanson are the same? Do you get the sense at all that the earlier labeled jackets were produced anywhere outside the US, or with lesser quality hides and craftsmanship?

Juanito

Oh thank you so much, so Vanson Associates and Vanson are the same? Do you get the sense at all that the earlier labeled jackets were produced anywhere outside the US, or with lesser quality hides and craftsmanship?
No. All of the early jackets are of a very high quality and as far as I know all are hand made right here in Massachusetts.

I raced motorcycles for a long time. Vanson leathers are very highly regarded, like Bates. We are not talking Schott, Excelled, or Wilson.

cgreen

Thanks Juanito, much appreciated. Do you have any idea when Vanson switched from the white labels to the black?

CG