• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UK Custom charges from US

Marv

Quick question for all you UK GW jackets owners.......my GW jacket will be going into production soon as I was wondering once the jacket is shipped to the UK,

1) what's the approx delivery time

2) what are the UK custom charges

Persimmon

Marv said:
Quick question for all you UK GW jackets owners.......my GW jacket will be going into production soon as I was wondering once the jacket is shipped to the UK,

1) what's the approx delivery time Got it several days after being sent.

2) what are the UK custom charges
Zero (customs friendly delivery)

johnwayne

Not sure if JC can but with mine he put 'used military jacket' on the customs form - I think 'cos he'd worn it or used it for his website for pics it wasn't classed as new! I think it's the luck of the draw at the point of entry in the UK based on how its described and value.
Best of luck - hopefully you'll have it time for FL at Duxford and we can all see it!!

Cheers
Wayne

ausreenactor

johnwayne said:
Not sure if JC can but with mine he put 'used military jacket' on the customs form - I think 'cos he'd worn it or used it for his website for pics it wasn't classed as new! I think it's the luck of the draw at the point of entry in the UK based on how its described and value.

On a product direct from the vendor? And we had 40+ pages smashing ELC on the VAT issue? :?

Couchy

bfrench

Administrator
ausreenactor said:
johnwayne said:

On a product direct from the vendor? And we had 40+ pages smashing ELC on the VAT issue? :?

Couchy

Completely different question - it's about a person paying their own countries' duties on imports from elsewhere - something we're all to familiar with in Canada.

Parcels coming from abroad, depending on the product, pay an import duty plus our Goods and Services Tax - some product enters without duty depending on what it is and where it's from - but the government says everyone pays GST.

I find here that if it runs under $100.00 it usually just gets waived through - no duty no GST but not always.

SuinBruin

ausreenactor said:
johnwayne said:

Couchy
JC helps his overseas customers avoid having to pay more for his jackets in the form of customs fees. ELC and Aero deliberately inflate the price of their jackets for their overseas customers in the form of nonexistent "VAT." There is a rather enormous difference between the two approaches.

ausreenactor

If any vendor is undervaluing an item, is it not defrauding the dues owed to HRH? A jacket at $1000 which in theory would attract VAT/import duties or fees is less attractive to UK buyers if you add the overage. Eliminating the duties on even a used item direct from the retailer would save the recipient a bundle. And making the purchase worthwhile. I am sure nobody here has a conscience when they have to dip into their pockets. I know that trades between collectors would generally be using 'second hand jacket' or used clothing with a low value. For a business to employ it as a standard operating procedure is another thing. Having paid over $250 a pop for the duties on some Aero A-2s the Australian Government got their cut according to my countries laws. Vendors routinely state they will not falsify item values for buyers. The question was regarding the UK charges for a GW and two recipients have stated nil/nada/none? Surely it should not be a case of luck with the value marked on the customs declaration? I know I am ruffling some feathers, but is it not a fair question or point? I know the ELC debate was about buyers from non EU countries buying at a premium price. Many stating that ELC was defrauding the Government. If there is no VAT on that item ELC were just asking the same price. Those that were complaining most had never bought from ELC. My two new ELCs were paid at the premium price and I did not think it was an issue.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sent ... r_majesty/

SuinBruin

If you want to simultaneously side with the tax man and defend businesses defrauding their buyers, that's your prerogative. The topic's been done to death already so I won't add anything beyond observing that insofar as Good Wear is concerned your post could best be summed up as "no good deed goes unpunished."

Peter Graham

ausreenactor said:
If any vendor is undervaluing an item, is it not defrauding the dues owed to HRH?

What's up with you Couchy ? The woman you refer to is one of the richest people in the world. In fact, she has recently been given a five million pounds a year pay rise while many of her subjects are slung out on the streets to starve or forage for food in supermarket dumpsters. The main purpose of our government is to exploit and defraud the citizens of the UK. In my opinion it is a moral obligation to get one over on the tax man in any way possible. You must have things pretty cushy out there to allow yourself the luxury of that kind of mindset.

ausreenactor

Peter Graham said:
ausreenactor said:
If any vendor is undervaluing an item, is it not defrauding the dues owed to HRH?

What's up with you Couchy ? The woman you refer to is one of the richest people in the world. You must have things pretty cushy out there to allow yourself the luxury of that kind of mindset.

That wealth is hardly the issue here. I am one of HRH's loyal subjects and I swore an Oath to her and her heirs and successors a long time ago. And making that Oath 22 years ago has set me up pretty darn well through a whole lot of personal effort and sacrifice. I am just commenting on a practice that I perceive inadvertently offers an advantage over competitors. Some might say it is illegal?

Couchy

bfrench

Administrator
ausreenactor said:
Peter Graham said:
ausreenactor said:

What's up with you Couchy ? The woman you refer to is one of the richest people in the world. You must have things pretty cushy out there to allow yourself the luxury of that kind of mindset.

That wealth is hardly the issue here. I am one of HRH's loyal subjects and I swore an Oath to her and her heirs and successors a long time ago. And making that Oath 22 years ago has set me up pretty darn well through a whole lot of personal effort and sacrifice. I am just commenting on a practice that I perceive inadvertently offers an advantage over competitors. Some might say it is illegal?

Couchy

Guys,

Let's get back to the original topic - 2) what are the UK custom charges

It has nothing to do with anything else but how much is owed to customs on arrival - all he is looking for is the approximate customs charge.

If customs gives it a waive through, then great - otherwise cough up the fees.

That being said - does any body have any related experiences with importing jackets and the percentage custom fees - pretty simply really.

Peter Graham

John Lever said:
VAT,import duty and handling charges add another 25% to the value.

That's about right. I never get anything past them any more, even low value items. I recently paid £14 handling charges on £50's worth of knits from MASH.

Marv

thanks chaps..........

johnwayne said:
Best of luck - hopefully you'll have it time for FL at Duxford and we can all see it!!

Cheers
Wayne

Hope so too, got just about a month before FL....fingers crossed. :)

269sqnhudson

Peter Graham said:
John Lever said:

That's about right. I never get anything past them any more, even low value items. I recently paid £14 handling charges on £50's worth of knits from MASH.

I agree. For me a $30 helmet cover from the US incurred £12 of charges including an £8 handling fee. I ALWAYS get snagged on charges now. That's one reason I prefer to buy Eastman.

ausreenactor

John Lever said:

Apparently not in the two responses from customers responding to the question so far? Hence the curiosity. I know what SHOULD be the surcharge in both cases.....

I am just glad we have a $1000 value waiver. Australia is the lucky country.

Couchy