• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Real Mccoys Dubow 27798

ace1967

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Please let me introduce myself.
I'm Hans and i'm from the Netherlands. 40 years old .
I own a Aeroleather 'real deal' A2 and i recently found a russet Dubow jacket at The Beltring 'War & Peace' show. Real nice collor and fit, but the collar makes me wonder a bit. I know Dubow collars are quite pointed but these leave me with a 1970's feel.
I already contacted The real Mccoys, but they could't help me and stated this is a fairly accurate copy of this contract. So be it.
Maybe you guys could voice your opinions about the matter.
thanks for your time.

4.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

3.JPG

A

Anonymous

Ace:
I already contacted The real Mccoys, but they could't help me and stated this is a fairly accurate copy of this contract. So be it.
Maybe you guys could voice your opinions about the matter.

You've hit the nail on the head about RMNZ's Dubow- the collar is too big and too pointy- 70s style. The epaulets are too thin (widthwise) and the pockets are too far apart also. if you want an accurate copy get a Goodwear- all the nuances are there but no caricature-like exaggerations. There may have been as few originals with big Doniger-like collars but most original Dubows I've seen have had relatively small, pointy collars.

ace1967

A well........I didn't pay to much for it about 160 pounds,wich isn't bad for a horsehide jacket.
I wished it was a bit more accurate. Lesson learned.
Next time a GW jacket or that lovely pre war Werber jacket i saw at the Eastman stall.....

Curahee

Hi Hans,

First of all welcome to the forum, nice meet another Dutch guy here. Apart from that "Travolta" looking collar I think you've got a nice jacket there ;) If you haven't already check out the Acme Depot website http://www.acmedepot.com/

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Yeah, I like 'em too ....

The collar lengths on both of my size 42's, measure at about 3.75". That one does look long, but at the price ....... :)

Tim P

Hans, welkom hier. mijn beste A2 is Mccoys dubow. Hij is erg aardig. u heeft een goede preis betaalt voor hem.
Ik hebbe ook een mcCoys Dubow, 'better duck' heeft een photo gemaakt in duxford. mijn is dunkelte dan dit van you.
see jij andere dubow a2's, zij zijn divers. natuurlijk hebbe jij een eerste klasse artikel.

Groet van engels.

How is my dutch?
all the best
Tim

ace1967

Hello Tim,
thanks for the kind reply. I noticed the collar on that photo, does it have same dimensions, more or less ?
Your Dutch is pretty good. looks a bit how they speak it in South Afrika. :)

Tim P

I have a long way to go with my stuudies yet. A CD is one thing but conversation teaches you so much more. I guess another trip to the netherlands is called for.
the seam at the back of the collar on mine is 8.3cm or 3.2 inches the point mesures at 9cm or 3.5 inches, maybe 3.7 at the most allowing for the curve.
I think this is less than yours. that severe point is more a feature of the donigers...
the pockets are five inches from the windflap or the zip but the jacket is a 48. I know some people believe that anything over three and a half is the leather equivalent of being done from the rear but they look ok to me, a little wide but still proportionate.
the eppaulettes are4cm or 1.6 inches wide and 8 inches long. thats all I have that is that length :?
your jacket is a 46 right? to me that is Mccoys for a 42 would i be correct?

A

Anonymous

Tim:
the pockets are five inches from the windflap or the zip but the jacket is a 48. I know some people believe that anything over three and a half is the leather equivalent of being done from the rear but they look ok to me, a little wide but still proportionate.

This is on a RMNZ jacket- right? So a 48 is really a 44/46? Too far apart- we're talking Lost Worlds here. The pockets should be around 3" at that size to be like an original. Apparently a size 52 original Dubow owned by a famous collector has pockets almost 5" from windflap but there is as much leather on the underarm seam side too- so the pocket is basically centered. Dubows generally are noted for having pockets pretty close to the windflap. Also they are noted for having fat epaulets- there may be some originals with thinner ones but mostly they have fat epaulets even in the smaller sizes- very distinctive.

Tim P

Its a great looking jacket but it is a shame that the nuances of the original have not been more faithfully adhered to. It is at least a 46 as it is quite roomy on me. maybe a 48 (read RMNZ 50 as there is no label in it)I can live with it for the way it has weathered in and the finish is worn through to base coat and creased in all the right places.
As my only current A2 after the purge I had recently it is still, in my opinion, a keeper.

ace1967

Here's an update.
I held the collar under the tap and let soak for a while.
while the collar being wet i rolled it up a few times ,and let it dry in the sun.
Now it has got that more worn in look.
It's still the same old collar but looks way better now i.m.o..
With all it's inaccuracies it is still a very good fitting and fine wearing jacket. Especially compared with my Aero real deal a2 wich fits like a patato sack.

7.jpg

8.jpg

T-Bolt

Even with several small inaccuracies, I personally think McCoy's makes a nice jacket. I would have bought one several years ago, but the exchange rate started going south and has continued getting worse since then.

Ted

jacketimp

£160 is good price.......you won't make a loss when you decide to sell it.........could put proceeds in your war chest for a........gw?

airfrogusmc

I'm with Ted and I also really like McCoys jackets. I've owned several. I actually like their Dubow allot.

But I also like some of Aeros jackets ALLOT and F/S, G&B ALLOT and Eastman makes a couple of real beauty's especially their Star, Werber and all of their sheepskins so I guess that might not be popular with some but hey they all make great jackets as does GW. Find one you like and wear it. If you want 100%, buy original. I would but I can't afford size 50/52 original A-2s.