• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Rake magazine/Chapal leather

johnwayne

Not sure I'd Chapal leather has ever got a mention here? It's a French leather co that have been around since late 1800's and are being 'promoted' in issue 50 of The Rake magazine if anyone is familiar with? Basically it's a mans mag aimed at the discerning high earners (not me!) but has some stylish gear, few adverts and great historic articles on past classic icons/ film stars etc., and notably never say what the cost is of anything - the adage I guess is if you need to ask you can't afford it however prices do appear on their website. In said issue they are showcasing the 'usaaf aviator' which is a hybrid A2/G1 and whilst it's nice at £2675 make high end repros we know absolute bargains. Still and to the point, the article is full,of inaccuracies yet written by the editor who claims to have owned dozens of A2's and G1's - he provides wrong contract no, offers comments like the fact for no seam on back because it would 'abrade' the pilot and despite mentioning the one piece back mentions it's 'deep pleats' earthier side!! It's also says the G1 was created from the A2 blueprint and that Chapal leather was a 'major' supplier the Usaaf. Chapels own website even leads you to poss believe they created Charles Lindberg's A1 and the A2 design, creative wording I think!! In another issue they say A2's were originally made using 'seal' leather. I do hate such misleading articles and want to contact them to right the wrongs but is that me being overly nerdy??

33-1729

Purchased a subscription in the hopes of learning something new. Got the e-mail out of the magazine and hope they'll do better.

johnwayne

Does make you wonder how well researched some mag articles are and I fully understand mistakes can happen (as an ex typesetter especially) but these aren't mistakes and it's a high end magazine too! I may well do as you suggest and drop them some hopefully constructive criticism!!

SuinBruin

Not sure I'd Chapal leather has ever got a mention here? It's a French leather co that have been around since late 1800's and are being 'promoted' in issue 50 of The Rake magazine if anyone is familiar with? Basically it's a mans mag aimed at the discerning high earners (not me!) but has some stylish gear, few adverts and great historic articles on past classic icons/ film stars etc., and notably never say what the cost is of anything - the adage I guess is if you need to ask you can't afford it however prices do appear on their website. In said issue they are showcasing the 'usaaf aviator' which is a hybrid A2/G1 and whilst it's nice at £2675 make high end repros we know absolute bargains. Still and to the point, the article is full,of inaccuracies yet written by the editor who claims to have owned dozens of A2's and G1's - he provides wrong contract no, offers comments like the fact for no seam on back because it would 'abrade' the pilot and despite mentioning the one piece back mentions it's 'deep pleats' earthier side!! It's also says the G1 was created from the A2 blueprint and that Chapal leather was a 'major' supplier the Usaaf. Chapels own website even leads you to poss believe they created Charles Lindberg's A1 and the A2 design, creative wording I think!! In another issue they say A2's were originally made using 'seal' leather. I do hate such misleading articles and want to contact them to right the wrongs but is that me being overly nerdy??
You pretty much summed up in one post why Chapal is not really a topic of discussion around here.