• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the G-1 contracts

A

Anonymous

I am asking because I won one NOS and from the photos looks like (pressed to look like goat) cowhide.
I would prefer goatskin but the price was so low that I can't complain....

RCSignals

Someone probably knows the exact years, but from what I can tell the jackets were made of cowhide for a short time only, in the early '80s. Yours hopefully escaped that period. (being dated 1987?)

HackerF15E

RCSignals said:
Someone probably knows the exact years, but from what I can tell the jackets were made of cowhide for a short time only, in the early '80s. Yours hopefully escaped that period. (being dated 1987?)

The 1976 Imperial Leather & Sportswear contract is, famously, cowhide.

A

Anonymous

unfo, for the photos can tell that mine is definately not goat

Atticus

I may be wrong, but I think, beginning with the E-series jackets in 1972, G-1s could be made from cowhide or goatskin. I have seen E jackets made from both animals and the date of manufacture doesn't seem to dictate one or the other. In fact, I have a 1972 Star that I've always suspected was made from both.

AF

RCSignals

HackerF15E said:
RCSignals said:

The 1976 Imperial Leather & Sportswear contract is, famously, cowhide.

that helps, so through the '70s and maybe early '80s.

Platon will know for sure when he gets his

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:

Here's John Chapman on the subject, as Atticus notes, the E series actually started in 1972.

The G-1 MIL-J-7823E series of jackets date from 1969 to present, and indicate that the Navy has chosen to use lesser materials at this point.The jackets were made with both goatskin and cowhide. Either were acceptable, but cowhide seems to have been less expensive, so it was use more extensively. The mouton can also been seen as real or synthetic. It appears that the supplies which a maker had were what determined the materials used, as some jackets are quite nice, and others are not so high in quality. These are still being made, and can be dated easily by the contract number which has a two-digit date in it. This series is also the first in which printed white labels are introduced

A

Anonymous

Now it's clear
So mine is made 87 with printed label

Here's a picture of the leather

IMG_3061.jpg

the kind that never ages.

RCSignals

I looks like the grain of cowhide. Is it?
What does the rest of the jacket look like? Is the collar genuine mouton?
I think all the goatskin G-1s are chrome tanned, so the kind that doesn't age readily either.

m444uk

PLATON said:
I am asking because I won one NOS and from the photos looks like (pressed to look like goat) cowhide.
I would prefer goatskin but the price was so low that I can't complain....

Yes, I think your right. Cheaper split leathers are often given various grain patterns but almost never a goatskin one !

A

Anonymous

I didn't know about the existence of pressed cowhide to look like goatskin until I read about it in G&B's old website.
I owned one of their current A-2's that I bought on ebay.
It was made out of this leather. It looks like goatskin but if you compare it with real goatskin can immediately tell the difference. It's was also heavier than goatskin.

bebel

The 7823A spéc. superseded the 7823 in November 1958.

The 7823B superdeded the A in October 1960.