• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Advice You'll EVER get! Guaranteed

Whatsit

I think it was great info. It’s like the question “how to best store your kilt” I paid over $600 for my kilt. I want more then just one guy’s point of view. And to have someone that’s stored 1000’s of kilts point of view is a great reliable point of view.

Ken at Aero Leather

When I was dealing in vintage we handled lots of Kilts. Any that had the slightest evidence of moth was deep frozen for 48 hours.

We’ve never had the slightest problem with moths up here where we now live, not a single nip in anything in 15 years and I’ve got lots of Tweed and wool clothing

I wrap mothballs in paper tissue, stick then to the shelf in the wardrobe with a drawing pin, about 3 to 4 moth balls to a regular size wardrobe

jeremiah

Ken, do you find that the paper tissue takes some of the scent away that the mothball exudes?
My Kilt is no where near the level of craftsmanship as one of the higher end ones. My family on my father's side came from Huntley. I have been twice to Scotland and got to visit there.

B-Man2

I’ve posted this once before but since we’ve had a few new members join us I’ll repost this suggestion regarding hanging your jackets. First off, Im in complete agreement with Andrew and Vic regarding not hanging your jackets but rather laying them out in a moth proof bag. However if storage space is a problem I have hung them like this for short periods of time. I take a good sturdy wooden hanger and wrap it in old bath towels and then tape the towel to the hanger thus giving the hanger a softer and wider hanging surface area. Here’s a couple of photos. Please feel free to comment,
Cheers
B-Man2
F532796A-1540-4B4F-9B35-C50028CCDF28.jpeg
6713ED92-D3A2-4976-8710-E0E2D0E3D33E.jpeg

Last edited:

johnwayne

Crikey, mine are all hung on wooden hangers in a moth balled wardrobe! My life would be hell if I laid them flat somewhere and who's got the room to do that? Your hangers look nice Ken but £10 a pop (admittedly only the price of a packets of cigs, not that I smoke but, here in London that's 2 pints of real ale too)!!!

Ken at Aero Leather

Your hangers look nice Ken but £10 a pop (admittedly only the price of a packets of cigs, not that I smoke but, here in London that's 2 pints of real ale too)!!!

B-man-2 has a design of one that should come in around 50p (see above) and will do the job just as well as the Aero hanger, and that's not even the cost of a tip for an uber taxi driver in your part of the world :>)

Smithy

The best advice I got was when I was about 5 from my grandfather. We were up near the top paddock on his farm where the stud bulls were kept and he said, "Don't bloody pee on that boy, it's an electric fence."

Officer Dibley

What to say, eh ?

I think for hanging up your GW, ELC, Aero etc, a well rounded hanger like Ken's or similar is ideal if you wear it often.
For real vintage jackets all the time or for storing repros over the summer, definitely a wide, shallow box with a mothball and some pot pourri is the way to go.
So really, everyone is right. :)

Carl

All my shearling is just laid flat ??? the original Bronco A2 has its own drawer .

Carl

Can we let the moderators decide if this is advertising or advice?......................John? Nathan? I'll happily bide by your decision.[/QUOTE]

Theres Moderators on here ?????

Edward

Dear Vintage Leather Jackets,
Long time reader here. I store my A-2 jackets flat under my bed but I do have a 1940's vintage wood hanger that I temporarily will hang my ELC Star Sportswear on if I know I'm going to use it again in a few hours... or I just throw it on the couch.
sooo, moths. Are we talking about flying adult landing and eating or their larva? I have no experience with this sort of bug problem but I suddenly seem to have a lot of modern and vintage gabardine wool and am now concerned. I hate the scent of mothballs! (how does one get between their tiny legs anyway?)

Signed, Flak Happy
48c31593245e307fe63bb72effe45d08--marty-feldman-portrait.jpg

Carl

Dear Vintage Leather Jackets,
Long time reader here. I store my A-2 jackets flat under my bed but I do have a 1940's vintage wood hanger that I temporarily will hang my ELC Star Sportswear on if I know I'm going to use it again in a few hours... or I just throw it on the couch.
sooo, moths. Are we talking about flying adult landing and eating or their larva? I have no experience with this sort of bug problem but I suddenly seem to have a lot of modern and vintage gabardine wool and am now concerned. I hate the scent of mothballs! (how does one get between their tiny legs anyway?)

Signed, Flak Happy
View attachment 7887
:D :D " between their legs" :D :D

Silver Surfer

between thier legs? hmmm...seems ive read that somewhere....and not so long ago, hahahahaha. and, smithy, your gramps was a wise man. best advice? dunno. pretty good advice? play nice with the other children.