• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That White Film on the Jackets...

As a new collector, I bought a couple of A2's that have the white film on them - from old leather conditioner as I later learned. The jackets are nice and named otherwise, so theyre worth saving.

This didnt bother me at first, but now that I know, I want it off.

Has anyone had any luck removing this? Any secret home remedies?

Im sure this has been discussed, but I couldnt find the thread. If anyone can link me to that, I can save you all the keystrokes.

Thanks you

Skyhawk

Saddle soap leaves residue too, that turns a greenish white with age and corrodes metal parts. It could even be saddle soap residue you are dealing with. I wouldn't use it.

Buff residue off with a soft rag and a little warm water. If needed you can use Lexol leather cleaner. It is PH balanced and will not harm the leather (Available at tack and riding stores). Follow up after it's dry with a light coat of Renapur leather balsam (available for cheap at Amazon). It is a natural beeswax and mineral conditioner. I have found it far superior to Pecards conditioner. Which is petroleum based and leaves more residue. Also browse through the Care & Preservation section on the forum.

Silver Surfer

yup, could by improperly applied saddle soap. yup, saddle soap will leave a residue.....if ya dont follow the instructions on the can. after cleaning with saddle soap, wipe off with a damp cloth. as said, ive used it successfully. try it on an unseen area, like under the pocket flap. agreed, on the pecards. it leaves a kinda tacky film on the hides. i havent used it in years.

ausreenactor

I thought it may have been a phenomena relating to the arrival of a collector's first Good Wear? Sorry, my bad. :oops:

TankBuster

Skyhawk said:
Saddle soap leaves residue too, that turns a greenish white with age and corrodes metal parts. It could even be saddle soap residue you are dealing with. I wouldn't use it.

Buff residue off with a soft rag and a little warm water. If needed you can use Lexol leather cleaner. It is PH balanced and will not harm the leather (Available at tack and riding stores). Follow up after it's dry with a light coat of Renapur leather balsam (available for cheap at Amazon). It is a natural beeswax and mineral conditioner. I have found it far superior to Pecards conditioner. Which is petroleum based and leaves more residue. Also browse through the Care & Preservation section on the forum.

I 2nd all above^. Just use a rag and warm water at first. If that doesn't work, Lexol will remove it for good. Be careful with the Lexol though. Apply gently and sparingly. As others have said, Pecards is a decent last resort if something really needs it, otherwise jackets are best left alone and stored in the right conditions. Back in the day, pecards was touted as the save all for dry original jackets so I'm not surprised you are running into so many jackets that have had pecards applied. Many collectors used it. Lucky for me I rarely ever did. The good news is, you can get that white film off.

foster

I've seen some items treated with Pecard's. They were waxy and somewhat sticky to the touch. I would not use it on anything, unless it was in dire need of conservation.

Personally, I have had good results with Huberd's and their products are supposed to be natural. I've used their neatsfoot oil on some dry jackets, and their boot grease on footwear, but I think the grease would work better on a jacket than Pecard's.