Suggestions to get the wet dog smell out of heavy shearling ?

Discussion in 'Care / Preservation' started by Miles, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Miles

Miles Active Member

Having a full season in my ANJ4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Falcon_52

Falcon_52 Active Member

Miles-

Cedar wood is a good deodorant. I have had good results with using cedar wood shavings inside of a small cloth pouch. Put the pouch inside the jacket while the jacket is laying flat. Zip up the jacket and leave it for a few days (or longer). Hopefully, this will help you.

Noel

Miles likes this.
  3. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

Miles,
    If it is that bad I have seen posts where people have actually machine washed a shearling jacket and air dried. I did some research a while back and bought some lanolin soap which is supposed to be more delicate to shearling. I used it to spot clean cuffs with reasonable results. In a washing machine I imagine greater results.
    Dave

Miles likes this.
  4. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

Don't let your dog wear it.

5. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

I would spray it down with Fabreze Spray and Odor Remover and put it out in the sun for a day.
    I've used it on my B3, B6, Irvin AND my dog..........takes the smell out of all of them!;)

Thomas Koehle likes this.
  6. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

once in a while I give my dogs a bath (all 3 of them) ...

but no joking think the advice of B-Man 2 works: used that "Febreze" a couple of times on WW2 garment to remove stink so should alos work with your jacket

7. Miles

Miles Active Member

I found a solution and it worked incredibly. I used sandal wood oil. It’s a natural product used for homeopathic remedy. It instantly took the smell off my collar and never returned. I just put a few drops on my fingers and wiped it on. The sandal wood scent is very subtle, smells like quality leather, and goes away after an hour! Really worked fantastically. Here’s an image of the product [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smithy, Kennyz and oose like this.
  8. Falcon_52

Falcon_52 Active Member

I'm glad that you found a solution, Miles. Your jacket will be ready for many more hours of hard wear. :)

Noel

Miles likes this.
  9. geoff.adams.96

geoff.adams.96 New Member

Hello everyone, I'm totally new to this forum, this is my first post, and must say I have learned so much from you guys through lurking. I now have a question if I may. I have just acquired my first vintage G1, a Martin Lane with beautiful mouton collar, the leather in beautiful oveall condition, from 1968. The cuffs and waistband are moth eaten and will be replaced with a new set in seal brown in keeping with the originals. The mouton collar, though, does need a bit of deodoranising. do you have any suggestions please. Would the sandalwood oil above work on mouton? Any advice much appreciated. Thank you...[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Smithy and Steve27752 like this.
  10. Southoftheborder

Southoftheborder Member

If it works for shearling I don't see why not. Mouton is just sheepskin that's been teased into looking like fur.

geoff.adams.96 likes this.
  11. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Hi Geoff and welcome to VLJ. A careful wash with Johnsons baby shampoo and rinse will help as well.
    May I suggest a post here:
    http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

12. geoff.adams.96

Thank you so much for your suggestions and insight gents- I think the baby shampoo sounds like a superb idea! Unfortunately I can't seem to open the link, both taptalk and the browser on my phone don't want to know. But thanks, I'll try the shampoo...

13. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Well-Known Member

Be careful with washing mouton. It may curl up when it dries and you may loose that soft feel. With such a nice collar something like the oil would be better in my opinion.
    Also just airing it out will help. You can blast the jacket with a fan for a few days. I have had success with G-1's with this method.

Good luck!

14. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

If your in the US try a commercial product called Fabreeze. It removes odors. I’ve had good results with it.

Thomas Koehle and geoff.adams.96 like this.
  15. geoff.adams.96

Thank you very much guys for your insight and suggestions. We do get Fabreeze in the UK so I think it will do no harm to give it a very light spray with that first and see how it goes. If that works then it's job done without any risk of curling. Thank you all!

16. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Geoff and nice jacket btw!

17. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

Second that!

Also the hint with FABREZE or how it is spelled is fine - works for all my vintage stuff so why not with that collar ...

18. geoff.adams.96

Just to let you all know I used a very light spray of Fabreeze on the collar by spraying above it and letting it fall down. I also aired it for a few days outside when the weather became fine, and it seems to have worked. Thank you all for taking time out to advise, and for your kind words of welcome! Now to replace the cuffs and waistband... Sadly they are motheaten and rotting...