• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rough Wear Restoration by none other than Andrew Swatland

Juanito

In the fall of 1987 I just had dinner with a new girlfriend (which I later married only to find out she was BSC) in downtown Seattle at Mama's Mexican food on 2nd. As we left and walked south for a nightcap toward the Crocodile Cafe where Kurt Cobain of Nirvana used to play before he was really famous, I spotted a punk rocker (or "new waver" since it was the 1980's) who had the side of his head shaved, wearing what was unmistakably an A-2 shell.

I stopped him and literally bought it off his back for $65. I think he thought I was the crazy one. Anyway, the jacket hung in the closet for over 30 years as I could never find anyone I would trust to restore it. Here is is exactly as I bought it from the punk rocker. Please note all cloth parts and the zipper pulls had been removed. It was literally the shell.

Last edited:

B-Man2

The back story has unfolded and now we eagerly await the story line development.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Juanito

As for the shell, the leather is in remarkable shape--soft and compliant as they come with zero dry rot, weakness, or stiffness. The seams for the most part are strong, save for the lower sleeves, where the top stitch was worn. There were a couple of minor holes in the leather on the right side undersleeve and one in the right rear back panel. All the snaps work great and both sides of the collar clip are in great shape.

It is clearly a redye but fortunately it has simply worn off as opposed to "skinning" the jacket. There are needle marks for the name tag, rank on the epaulets, and for a shoulder roundel as you can see in the photos.

I crossed the 50 year mark some time ago, and never thought I would get to doing anything with the jacket so I posted it on the VLJ site for sale thinking maybe someone could actually do something with it. Some time went by with ZERO interest, until our own A. Swatland sent a PM inquiring about it as a restoration project as he said he like to bring these back to life. I then asked him if he would actually take the project on for me. I never really wanted to let the jacket go, but I thought the reality would be that I would never get it done--I had owned it for over 30 years!

In any case, Andrew graciously said he would take on the project. I sent it to him with really no more instructions than that I wasn't in a hurry (after all, I have owned this for over 30 years) and to do what he felt was right by the jacket. I sent him cuffs and a waistband I had purchase off eBay from a recommended seller. I had liner material somewhere, but I couldn't find it as I had moved about 6 months earlier and half my stuff is still in boxes, but Andrew had some. So, sometime in March or April it was sent from Oregon, USA to the UK...

Last edited:

Juanito

Andrew received the jacket and judged that it was either a Ac 23380 or a 27752 contract due to the larger pockets. Wow a 27752, like McQueen possibly wore in the Great Escape. What was even better was that he had a Rough Wear label for a 27752.

To be honest, after it was sent I never gave the jacket a thought. Given that we had a two major restructurings at work, I was dealing with my Dad's extremely complex probate since he passed in December, as well as a number of other issues including a flooded condominium I was trying to get ready to sell, I have frankly been too busy to devote any time to personal interests.

...but in July I received a PM Andrew let me know it was done and sent some photos. Here are the photos Andrew sent:

I'll get some of my own photos shortly, but I can't say anything other that I am thrilled and extremely grateful to Andrew for making this happen. I will comment specifically on the details of this jacket and have another story of a "restored" Bronco A-2 and how it compared to this, but let's just say the Bronco paled in comparison to this.

Last edited:

B-Man2

BINGO!!
Outstanding Juanito!
That looks awesome, and a high five to Andrew for saving a WWII artifact and turning it into one hell of a nice A2!
Super grain on that thing as well. You've got to be very pleased with this after 30 years.
Just think how many A2's have gone a similar route that this one did, only to be dumped into the trash can after a period of time.
Great job guys and nice work Andrew!:)

Last edited:

Spitfireace

"In the fall of 1987 I just had dinner with a new girlfriend (which I later married only to find out she was BSC)"

I assume BSC stands for basically super crazy? Been there my friend. Anyhow, congrats on the rescued A-2 always a heartwarming story. Good work by Andrew.

daw

Great to see such great results. Congrats Juanito, and to Andrew for the craftsmanship.