• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ripped off by eBay/Paypal again

asiamiles

Nothing new; buyer claims he hasn't received his $20 (+ $10 shipping) item and naturally Paypal will give him back his $30. But going through eBay's current policies I noticed one startling change: It used be something like three strikes and you're out (ie. if a buyer failed to pay for 3 items his account would be suspended, which frankly seems fair to me, as there's really no excuse for it) but now eBay states "if you get too many strikes in too little time your account may be suspended". It seems like buyers can get away with just about anything these days!

Roughwear

Once again Ebay is determined to do everything to maximise their profit and not to suspend the accounts of anyone who might contribute to making money for them. :evil:

havocpaul

Ebay will now only side with buyers, just reading through the eBay forum shows how much ill-feeling there is from sellers towards all these new policies. I have had two buyers with history of claiming payments back for non-receipt and yet Paypal refunded them and eBay refused to take action against them despite my proof of postage receipts. I now state any overseas buyer will have to accept insured postage costs on high value items to protect myself from what is clearly fraud.

John Lever

They are now offering Seller Protection. You have to use a PP postage label with tracking and signature to a verified address. It cost slightly more, but on high price sales it's worth it.

jacketimp

asiamiles said:
Nothing new; buyer claims he hasn't received his $20 (+ $10 shipping) item and naturally Paypal will give him back his $30. But going through eBay's current policies I noticed one startling change: It used be something like three strikes and you're out (ie. if a buyer failed to pay for 3 items his account would be suspended, which frankly seems fair to me, as there's really no excuse for it) but now eBay states "if you get too many strikes in too little time your account may be suspended". It seems like buyers can get away with just about anything these days!

miles,

how was buyer's feedback 100%?

for higher valued items i always specify that i recserve the right not to sell at my discretion.

also that item will be sent to confirmed paypal address...no confirmed paypal address then other alternative methods of payments.

asiamiles

jacketimp said:

for higher valued items i always specify that i recserve the right not to sell at my discretion.

Quite a few negatives but his f/b total is a whopping 14058 seemingly mainly from selling music memorabilia. His attitude was "I haven't received my item so I should get a refund" regardless of the fact that (as I pointed out) he chose air-mail rather than express/insured shipping. For anything over $40 I insist on express unless payment is made independently of eBay (ie. into a seperate Paypal account); I may have to lower this limit to $10 in future.

jacketimp

asiamiles said:
jacketimp said:

Quite a few negatives but his f/b total is a whopping 14058 seemingly mainly from selling music memorabilia. His attitude was "I haven't received my item so I should get a refund" regardless of the fact that (as I pointed out) he chose air-mail rather than express/insured shipping. For anything over $40 I insist on express unless payment is made independently of eBay (ie. into a seperate Paypal account); I may have to lower this limit to $10 in future.

for local UK transactions i always send recorded delivery for peace of mind for both parties.

you're there.......always always do insured/with tracking....don't give a choice in shipping in case they go for cheap and awful....

asiamiles

jacketimp said:
for local UK transactions i always send recorded delivery for peace of mind for both parties.

You may discover Recorded Delivery isn't enough; for Paypal you need online proof not just that the package was delivered but that it was delivered to the specified address.

jacketimp

asiamiles said:
jacketimp said:

You may discover Recorded Delivery isn't enough; for Paypal you need online proof not just that the package was delivered but that it was delivered to the specified address.

i think that with recorded delivery receipient has to sign for the item received but most of the UK items i deal in aren't worth scamming.....no meat in it.....

oh yes.......i always take a pix of the item with recorded delivery label and email that to recipient....

John Lever

jacketimp said:
asiamiles said:
jacketimp said:

you're there.......always always do insured/with tracking....don't give a choice in shipping in case they go for cheap and awful....
Neh,
The seller only benefits from Seller Protection if they use PayPal Post. It is then tracked directly to the door. You can even see their signature.
They won't accept regular recorded delivery as proof of posting

jacketimp

[quote="John Lever
Neh,
The seller only benefits from Seller Protection if they use PayPal Post. It is then tracked directly to the door. You can even see their signature.
They won't accept regular recorded delivery as proof of posting[/quote]

ok gotcha!

cmk-2

I have gotten bitten as well. Wining bidder from Taiwan said he never received the Eastman B-3 jacket. He had asked me to only insure it for $50.00 b/c of the vat. So I told Paypal I would refund only the $50.00 ( I still have his email asking to insure it for $50.00). Paypal responed that did not matter and they took $385.00 out of my account. That put me in the red with Paypal and now they keep bugging me for the $385.00 I told them it was their policy to refund the Full amount NOT mine. Of course I just received a letter today from a collection service. So I guess I will have to lay back and give them the money. I am sure the guy got the jacket and now will get his money too. Live and learn I guess. Paypal is NO friend of mine. Robin

asiamiles

cmk-2 said:
I have gotten bitten as well. Wining bidder from Taiwan said he never received the Eastman B-3 jacket. He had asked me to only insure it for $50.00 b/c of the vat. So I told Paypal I would refund only the $50.00 ( I still have his email asking to insure it for $50.00). Paypal responed that did not matter and they took $385.00 out of my account.
Yes, when it comes to high value items like jackets you really have to protect yourself with full insurance regardless of what the buyer requests.

John Lever

asiamiles said:
cmk-2 said:
I have gotten bitten as well. Wining bidder from Taiwan said he never received the Eastman B-3 jacket. He had asked me to only insure it for $50.00 b/c of the vat. So I told Paypal I would refund only the $50.00 ( I still have his email asking to insure it for $50.00). Paypal responed that did not matter and they took $385.00 out of my account.
Yes, when it comes to high value items like jackets you really have to protect yourself with full insurance regardless of what the buyer requests.
With Paypal post items can be insured for the full amount. As soon as you print the label on your own printer, My ebay updates your sale to shoe Posted.
it costs more than the Post Office rates, but for peace of mind a few extra pounds is worth it.

ausreenactor

Gents...

Seller Protection was applied after three months and an appeal on my French AWOL item. Registered Post International
is stipulated on the User Agreement as accepted. It should be mentioned in the User Agreement for the country you
reside in. Registered Post International was tracked, but only accessed by calling Australia Post. They checked the
scanned data. But data stopped the day it arrived in France, when La Poste assigned their own tracking number. I will
only ship to France if the buyer is happy to pay for the additional protection.

Couchy