• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Wing or Sugar Cane

marco77

Hello guys !!!

Anyone can tell me the difference expect the price between this 2 brand ?
Models are very similar , especially engineer boots , mechanic and Beckam.

Is there a big difference of quality ?

Marco

ties70

I have four pairs of Red Wing boots, some with their third or fourth set of heels and soles. They are worth the money, stand tough after years of heavy use and are quite easy to repair. The Mrs has the engineer boots.

Don't know anything about the Sugar Cane boots but Wolverine 1000 Miles boots might be an alternative to RW.

Best regards

Ties

stanier

I've has Redwing's, Sugar Cane / Lone Wolf and Toy's McCoy's boots.

In my opinion Toys McCoy are best followed by Sugar Cane / Lone Wolf then Redwing.

Sorry but the RW's don't have Cats Paw soles and heels, and the build quality leaves something to be desired IMHO. In fact the heels they do have wear out really quick from
my experience.

Save a bit more and at least get Sugar Cane would be my advice.

unclegrumpy

If you were in the US or somewhere where there was a Redwing Shoe Store, I would say go and try some on. Fit can be tricky with all of these boots, and getting the right size makes all the difference. RWs can run differently between the different styles, especially between the work boots that can run big and the Beckmans, which are cut more like dress boots.

I don't have any experience with the Japanese boots, except looking at a few new pairs my friends have purchased. They were very good quality and had some nice vintage touches, but were well over twice the price. They also tend to fit best if your feet are in the size range that is most common in Japan, which mine aren't.

In the US, more people buy RWs to wear to work in rather than for fashion. They are not intended to be copies of something. They are well made and last. They also cost a lot more than other boots do here, and many Americans do not buy them because they consider them too expensive.

I think Ties & Mindful's advice is spot on....for everyday wearing go with the Redwings....for vintage fashion perfection consider spending more money....

airfrogusmc

You can always go with a pair of these. I really love mine.

USMC 1911 cordovan from WWII Imp.
IMG_2069_zps63281e6b.jpg

IMG_2072_zps4a998302.jpg