• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF 1936 pattern flying boots

Marv

I've had these boots for about ten years now and was wondering if you chaps would be able to date them.

I know there are not Air Ministry issue and not even sure if they are WW2 era so any information would be great.

Roughwear

They are private purchase rather than issued '36 Pattern boots Paul. I have seen several examples of these and they often lack the leather pullers and do not have the contract number, fitting and AM on the brown leather tag fixed to the pull tabs. D. Lewis made such boots as did other makers who also supplied the AM, such as Hawkins of Northampton, Walker and Hall of Sheffield and Morlands.

Marv

thanks Andrew, the boots are very well made and the way the soles are constructed they looked quite old and certainly not modern in my opinion.
the redfern soles look quite old and after looking on the web, redfern have been making rubber soles & heels from before the 30's.
my question is, do you chaps think that these are original private purchase or a vintage reproduction boot.

Roughwear

They are Wartime private purchase ones Paul. Very often the quality of such boots was better than AM issued boots.

Roughwear

As a size 11 they are very desirable, especially for re-enactors. The 1936 Pattern boot was produced throughout the war and was superior to the '39, '40 and '41 pattern boots.

Smithy

As a size 11 they are very desirable, especially for re-enactors. The 1936 Pattern boot was produced throughout the war and was superior to the '39, '40 and '41 pattern boots.

And from a purely aesthetic standpoint they are the prettiest too in my book.

Lovely pair, look after them!

Roughwear

Issued examples are getting hard to find these days Tim, especially in my size which is a ten in these boots. Mine are dated 1938. In my collection have two pairs of 39 Pattern boots, both in a size 10. One has the canvass straps and the other the leather ones. I also have the 1940, 1941 and 1943 boots all in sizes which fit me! Here are the well preserved 39 Pattern ones in a size 10 and they are from a 1940 contract.

Roughwear

Thanks Steve. My "Escape" Boots are in amazing condition. My other pair of 39 Pattern boots are extremely rare in being privately purchased. Why someone would want these in preference to the 36 Pattern boots is a moot point!

PADDY_M

I have my Uncle Joe's original escape boots Andrew. Hardly any wear to them (I don't think he used them much, if at all). Shame his feet were so small (about a 7) as they don't fit my feet. Got them given when I was a teenager!

Roughwear

It is great to have an item worn by a close relative in the War Paddy and they will not suffer any further wear whilst in your care.

Cubanpete

They are Wartime private purchase ones Paul. Very often the quality of such boots was better than AM issued boots.
Hey mate could you take a look at my RAF 1936 pattern flying please. I thought they were genuine, then i read this thread.Many thanks