• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on pencil compartment in pocket of USN M422 (A)

Pilot

Just wondering, saw several repro M422(A) jackets, some have this pencil hole/compartment in the left handed pocket, some not.
Since I am interested and keen in ordering one of those repros from a prime manufacturer , I am wondering what is correct... if compared to the original WW2 jacket ...pencil or no pencil hole/ compartment?
Thx for your info.

Skip

I know Gordon and Ferguson m422a had the stitched in pencil slot as standard design, I had one myself, they also came with the dull red rayon lining which makes a nice contrast to the seal outside. also my Fried Osterman had a pencil slot in the main pocket rather than a complete stitched section. Other manufacturers had this smaller slot as well

Pilot

I know Gordon and Ferguson m422a had the stitched in pencil slot as standard design, I had one myself, they also came with the dull red rayon lining which makes a nice contrast to the seal outside. also my Fried Osterman had a pencil slot in the main pocket rather than a complete stitched section. Other manufacturers had this smaller slot as well
Thx Skip, appreciate.

Dr H

The pencil slot/relative widths of the left and right pockets differentiate the M-422 (without) and the M-422A. If I recall correctly (and someone with more USN jacket knowledge can chip in. The differences in the models (along with examples) are shown on John Chapman’s CD.

Skip

Pilot, here's some photos from some jackets I saw on the net. You can see the difference between the G&F and the W&G. Some don't have a pencil pocket at all. G&F's are fairly common on the repro market, and an extremely comfortable jacket in fit. if you're not fussy about a particular maker then you may find an original for the same or cheaper price thats in good wearable condition.

post-11638-0-34338700-1396807964.jpg

G&F with left pocket (right side in photo) showing vertical stitched in pencil pocket which takes up some of the pocket space.

m6.jpg

This one from an original Willis & Geiger showing the slot in the upper leather also on the left side main patch pocket.

Pilot

Pilot, here's some photos from some jackets I saw on the net. You can see the difference between the G&F and the W&G. Some don't have a pencil pocket at all. G&F's are fairly common on the repro market, and an extremely comfortable jacket in fit. if you're not fussy about a particular maker then you may find an original for the same or cheaper price thats in good wearable condition.

View attachment 4372
G&F with left pocket (right side in photo) showing vertical stitched in pencil pocket which takes up some of the pocket space.

View attachment 4373

This one from an original Willis & Geiger showing the slot in the upper leather also on the left side main patch pocket.

View attachment 4372

View attachment 4373

Thx again Skip, I need a 46“, 24,5“ pit to pit... so originals are quite rare or impossible finds in that size ...
I love the G&F....
Cheers

johnwayne

Must admit I always hankered over an original M422/A but struggled to find a good one at a fair price and then went for an Aero repro but with all due respects never really liked it due to the stiffness of the leather and in my view it resembled more a G1 (sorry Ken if you're reading this) although it was a great jacket but I moved it on. I think my desire for the M422 is purely down to it's WWII heritage however, I've subsequently got the nearest best thing being 2 early G1's, both mid 50's Cagleco's. I've always like the more pointed collar shape than later G1's, similarly my preference in A2's has leaned towards those makers with more pointy collars, namely Dubow and Doniger, having said that I'd be happy with a nice rounded collar Perry!

Pilot

Guess goatskin needs a lot of battering/wear to soften, plus a lot of treatment with leather fat.

Dr H

Thx again Skip, I need a 46“, 24,5“ pit to pit... so originals are quite rare or impossible finds in that size ...
I love the G&F....
Cheers

I’ve owned a couple of superb wearable original G&F M-422A jackets in a 46 (and an AN-J-3 in a 48) so they are out there if you’re patient.

You might find that a less rare 44 works as the action back (and waist) is more forgiving than a G-1.

Pilot

I’ve owned a couple of superb wearable original G&F M-422A jackets in a 46 (and an AN-J-3 in a 48) so they are out there if you’re patient.

You might find that a less rare 44 works as the action back (and waist) is more forgiving than a G-1.
Thx, no hurry...Waiting for the right jacket to surface.