• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Popeye patch made for current Navy man,............

EMBLEMHUNTER

Popeye, dirty wash.jpg
Popeye, Dirty Wash (2).jpg
This one is going onto a Navy Deck jacket(in images) I put a "dirty wash" effect on the patch per his request, it doesn't show well in the images, enjoy :)

Bombing IP

I personally like the subdued patch ,your other ones are just to bright with to much chroma .Just my personal opinion but you know your customer base better than I do what they are looking for .

BIP

EMBLEMHUNTER

BIP, the reason I go with the type patches I make, is that this is the way they would have looked when first made/issued/ordered, the only reason they get beat up of course is from use during the war, I like the "aged" look too, but how far do you go with that , some I've seen done that barely have any of the design left , others just enough , would be hard to know when enough is enough so person would like/dislike the aging ..........

Bombing IP

BIP, the reason I go with the type patches I make, is that this is the way they would have looked when first made/issued/ordered, the only reason they get beat up of course is from use during the war, I like the "aged" look too, but how far do you go with that , some I've seen done that barely have any of the design left , others just enough , would be hard to know when enough is enough so person would like/dislike the aging ..........

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ,I used to make patches the leather layer type ,so I would try and get the colors on the subdued side for example the white would be in the ivory family ,the blue and reds would be naked type leather no sheen or gloss . Then when laid on a new or old jacket its passable without looking new .
One of the main problems I think affect our work is that 95% of the pictures of WWII are in black and white ,if more pictures were in color none of this we are speaking of would be an issue . Also the jackets that survived which are in reference books are used abused worn been there done that look in color definitely lack the chroma . Yes the patches when they were new were bright with chroma because the paint was procured from the supply depot on base and yes they would be bright with chroma paint, because that is the paint used for the markings on the aircraft and it needs to be seen .
Your Popeye patch has an eggshell finish and a naivety in the artwork that is really hard to pull off you have this in your work and it to be commended . Buy this I mean no your work is not simple but you show that you are a good artist that lacks formal training . For me this is what WWII base made patches are all about its an original New American folk art . The Best artist on base made the patches , to many makers of patches lack this essence in there work . My main criticism is there work is to advanced and perfect as if they were stamped from a machine lacking a soul ,and certainly not representing the period at all .
There was a guy who is no longer on the site who made patches CBI stuff and the like ,but the patches on the real jackets in theatre were never that good . His interpretation of the period was very precise and intricate wonderful workmanship on such a small 5'' patch with tigers and flags with 48 stars .For me his work does not represent the period of men living in huts taking off on makeshift runways .But speaking from the heart if we do not replicate as well as say John Chapman does with his jackets . The representation of what was , the passage off time the future will be presented with what is not .

BIP

Last edited:

FlyingYankee

Love this patch. I ride a U boat daily at Guantanamo and get plenty of sea wash, so no need to prematurely age anything.

Thomas Koehle

nicely done patch - will look marvelous on the N1

actually I think some decent "aging" makes sense and also gives a more vintage impression

what makes this old garment that interesting for me is the fact that it is vintage per say so I do not want my stuff like to look like brandnew

off course if it is "overdone" I also do not like it that much

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thanks "ALL" for your input and compliments of my work, I have always worked in the "new" made area of patches, I would like to work over to the "aged" look but the guys I know that are good at it are somewhat "possessive" of their "Tricks of the Trade", which I fully understand , but if they were to share a bit of this I may also be able to start putting out some of this type of work too, at present I'm working on 11 patches for VT-85 , going to some guys involved with a TBM restoration, I'll post images of them all when I get them finished, just got finished today doing the "embossing " of the design into the leather , tedious to say the least , but I like the technique I use as it gives the patches a semi-3/D effect when done.
All the best and will be posting more work .............
Johnny