• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures of civilian or refurbished A2 issued to USN aircrew

bazelot

I finally got around to uploading those pics. It was issued (or else was a private purchase) to WWII USN aircrew member (gunner or radioman in this case). Not very common to see an A-2 worn by a USN aircrew member.
Anyone can figure out the manufacturer. Original owner was with VB-4, VB40 and VB-197
The lining looks like it is original and so does the waistband.

Roughwear

Re: Pictures of civilian or refurbished A2 issued to USN air

With your new detailed pictures it is clearly not a Cable, having bevelled corners to the bottom of the pockets. It is not an issued jacket, but a privately purchased item.

bazelot

Roughwear said:
With your new detailed pictures it is clearly not a Cable, having beveled corners to the bottom of the pockets. It is not an issued jacket, but a privately purchased item.
Thanks Andrew, so the pattern does not match any known manufacturer? I wish this one could talk.... :)

ausreenactor

a2jacketpatches said:
Isn't that an enlisted pilot wing?

Very close to the sleeve rating and even the AAF Cadet wing..?? VERY unique item this! Great get..
Provenance ups the wow factor exponentially...

Couchy

bazelot

a2jacketpatches said:

It an Aviation Machinist Mate USN rating, the owner was not a pilot but either a gunner or a radioman, most likely he was a gunner as VB-40 and vb-4 were equipped with SBD planes. It looks like this crew member saw a lot of action in WWII as VB4 saw its fair share of action throughout the war. If only this jacket could talk :)

bazelot

ausreenactor said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Very close to the sleeve rating and even the AAF Cadet wing..?? VERY unique item this! Great get..
Provenance ups the wow factor exponentially...

Couchy

Thanks, the jacket is in sad shape but indeed provenance is everything :)

I find it interesting that he was not issued/did not wear a M-422A. Maybe it was a post war purchase.

a2jacketpatches

Curious why that wing is there and not a crew member wing. This jacket has to be civilian wear as the Navy wasn't near as flexible as the AAF,

Those "wings" are the rating badge insignia for an Aviation Machinist Mate. A rating is similar to an MOS in the other services. Since Aircrew wings weren't introduced into the Navy until the Spring of 1943, there is a good chance he did not have aircrew wings initially. Since this jacket was not a standard issue for flight crews, I wonder if he was actually aircrew. Just because he was assigned to a squadron does not mean he was a flying Aviation Machinist Mate.

a2jacketpatches

I just can't see a non Navy issued jacket being worn other than as a civilian. The Navy was too rigid.

Andrew

Although the leather, shape of the eps and lining made me think it might have been a V505, but just checked mine and it's not. Different pocket shape, snaps and of course zipper.

Ken at Aero Leather

If the lining IS the original I'd be 99.9% certain it's an Australian made WW2 A-2, we had three through our hands back at The Thrift Shop in the 1970s/80s when we were virtually the only firm dealing in original A-2s.
As far as I recall only one still had it's label (white if I remember correctly) but they all had identical linings to this one.....we did have thousands go through our hands and it was over 30 years ago, hence the 00.01% doubt!!!!

bazelot

Ken at Aero Leather said:
If the lining IS the original I'd be 99.9% certain it's an Australian made WW2 A-2, we had three through our hands back at The Thrift Shop in the 1970s/80s when we were virtually the only firm dealing in original A-2s.
As far as I recall only one still had it's label (white if I remember correctly) but they all had identical linings to this one.....we did have thousands go through our hands and it was over 30 years ago, hence the 00.01% doubt!!!!

THe thing is it has a Conmar zipper and as far I know, Australian A-2s did not use Conmar zippers. Both lining and zipper are original without the shadow of a doubt.

Andrew

Here's some detailed shots of mine. I'd like to say it is a V505, however I'm sure all jackets from this maker used the same components and details, so based on the use of nipple studs for the pockets and collar, rounded pocket corners, use of collar stand, centre seam to the lining and "Zipp" zipper I don't believe it is a V505.

image_zpscbf6b71c.jpeg

image1_zpsfc8394ed.jpeg

image2_zps6a259197.jpeg

image3_zps15b9f953.jpeg

image6_zpsc2861c28.jpeg

image7_zps0bdfcda2.jpeg

a7ddda98-1434-4529-a642-ee37365ee77a_zps0119a83e.jpg

And this last one shows a glove by the same maker which uses the same zipper- I also have a flying helmet which also used these so they were plentiful.
IMG_1324.jpg

Roughwear

Ken at Aero Leather said:

I think it is very difficult to identify an A2 as Australian made simply on the basis of the lining Ken. The Conmar zipper, the use of goatskin and the nickel ring snaps suggests to me an American-made A2, albeit not an issued jacket.