• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting name question

Whatsit

hope this is the right thread to post this question?
I’m trying to decide what to paint on the back of my A-2 repro that should be arriving next week (fingers crossed) I’ve narrowed it down to five but these I’mattaching, I'm at a lost for a good name that would go with them. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• 7B5CB205-1113-4451-9B94-79CA2FC78070.jpeg
    7B5CB205-1113-4451-9B94-79CA2FC78070.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 215
  • 439DA8F1-8597-4B2B-851F-3AB4AAE20685.jpeg
    439DA8F1-8597-4B2B-851F-3AB4AAE20685.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 211
  • C3EF8C0A-CC2E-4920-BB4E-C7F8D61A32A4.jpeg
    C3EF8C0A-CC2E-4920-BB4E-C7F8D61A32A4.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 231

Brettafett

Mike,
I assume you are thinking of copying the image of one of the attached patches, onto the back of the jacket.... Yes?
Then, are you asking for a name to add to that image on the back?

If so, I would consider researching what squadron's these patches represent, and then looking into any jacket art that may be out there.
Also, any nose art on any aircraft attached to these squadrons...
That would look cool, if you named after an actual aircraft attached to the specific squadron/ patch.

9edee0c31febad7dd5333d32198e372f--bomber-jackets-nine-durso.jpg WWII-bomber-jacket-art-3.jpg

Have a look at the Thread - 91st BG (H) A2

Last edited:

Whatsit

Yes copy but also try and make my own. Those three I can’t find anything. I love the pelican and Indian one the best but can’t find a thing. But am willing to just come up with a name all the same. Any thoughts?

Whatsit

Really. Not sure if this is the place to ask but what would you charge to do one of Pete with the bomb in his mouth like a cigar (603rd) 6 inches? Also any thoughts on a name for the Indian?

Smithy

Pleased you like the name!

As to the Indian, here no one would bat an eyelid but only you can answer that and I suppose it depends where you are in the States. Saying that the Cleveland Indians use a cartoon Indian character so I wouldn't imagine it would be offensive?

Whatsit

I live in Oklahoma so there might be more problems for me. I was really liking that. I wanted to name my sailboat the “Knotty Pelican” because I was raised the naughty meant bad or getting into mischief. But inthe states I’ve learned it doesn’t mean that. My wife said “no, it sounds like a nautical strip club”

Smithy

That's one of those situations where you risk sleeping in the spare room and say, "Sorry honey but the name's staying." ;)

Whatsit

:0)
It was easier in the long run to just keep the boat the name it already had “Impulse” but it would of been fun.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Really. Not sure if this is the place to ask but what would you charge to do one of Pete with the bomb in his mouth like a cigar (603rd) 6 inches? Also any thoughts on a name for the Indian?
Hello , yes I could make you the 603rd , done a few before, I charge $73.50 each/total for "any" 5-6 inch unit patch Sqd or Grp, USAAF/USN/USMC , drop me a "PM" to order , thanks :)
603rd Bombardment Squadron.jpg

Whatsit

Thanks
I’m not sure how to pm you but I’ll check with my wife and let you know
Thanks again. What sort of paint do you use if you don’t mind me asking?

unclegrumpy

As to the Indian, here no one would bat an eyelid but only you can answer that and I suppose it depends where you are in the States. Saying that the Cleveland Indians use a cartoon Indian character so I wouldn't imagine it would be offensive?

That is exactly the type of caricature that many do now find offensive. Stanford University once had a similar mascot, but dumped that in the early 1970's. What is "interesting" in all of this political correctness, is even the most respectful images of Native Americans have been swept away as well. That is especially true of school mascots...one local school traded their very stoic Chief in a full warbonnet for a bird.

These days you can pretty easily offend people...heck, just wearing leather put some over the edge, but for those folks at least there are faux leather Birkenstocks and tofu turkeys for their holidays.

1950_1.jpeg

Whatsit

Thanks. It’s funny. Living in Wisconsin you’d be called a racist if you did not call a Native American a Native American. Moving to Oklahoma (“red people” the state meaning) I asked a co worker that is a Cherokee, if she knew of any Native American powwows coming up and she screeched. Shouting “I’m an Indian and don’t for get it” and another co worker that’s nearly full blooded Indian wears a braves baseball hat with there logo of the Indian boy. I’m English and Polish. If someone was wearing a painting of a Polish man with a big nose or an Englishman with bad teeth I wouldn’t be offended in the least. Oh well. I’ll get off my soap box now.

Last edited: