• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oxblood Civilian A-1 - Headwind Mfg Co

Skyhawk

Hello guys, presenting one of our new models of jackets we have decided to add to the product line:

The Oxblood Civilian A-1 Jacket
Oxblood1.jpg

Oxblood-4.jpg

Oxblood-3.jpg

Oxblood-5.jpg

Oxblood-8.jpg

Oxblood-7.jpg

As you can see we are really stepping it up with our new models. I am always trying to improve on quality, materials, and authenticity while keeping the prices as low as possible. This outstanding and unique new jacket model is available for under $700.

We have enough of this Oxblood Capeskin left to do 1 more jacket. Once it sells we will have more tanned for us but this will take some time. So if you want to purchase one and have it done quickly, without waiting for the new batch of hide to come in, now is the time to order!

Regards,
Jay

MikeyB-17

Looks a lovely jacket, and a beautiful hide, but that doesn’t look like the oxblood I’m used to-i.e. the colour of Dr. Martens boots, which have always been much redder, more maroon. That looks orange to me. Not criticising, just a point of interest.

Skyhawk

Looks a lovely jacket, and a beautiful hide, but that doesn’t look like the oxblood I’m used to-i.e. the colour of Dr. Martens boots, which have always been much redder, more maroon. That looks orange to me. Not criticising, just a point of interest.

Thanks for the compliments!

The color is not orange. I would say that the top two full shots represent the color the best. It is hard to capture the exact color in photos. Oxblood comes in different shades. This one is lighter than what Doc Marten does but still well within the Oxblood palette. If you search "vintage oxblood" you will see this color represented in some examples of vintage clothing.

Regards,
Jay

Garylafortuna

Great looking jacket Jay. This prepossessing shade of oxblood is one of the very things that attracted my attention to it. What does Doc Martens know anyway? Mikey has a very discerning eye. It is somewhat on the orange side, more of a burnt orange perhaps, not the orange color of fresh carrots. What's in a name?

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Thanks guys! I'm not seeing orange with this color. It is a unique color for sure. The hide is very nice in hand. Very thick and soft and the grain is off the charts!
Oxblood1-crush.jpg

We just got in a new batch of our new Chestnut Capeskin. They did an outstanding job color matching our sample. It is the same hide but in the color of the early A-1 / 37J1 jackets. We are currently building our first 37J1 jacket out of this new hide that arrived on Friday.

Regards,
Jay

B-Man2

Jay
Please post a picture of the new chestnut hide 37J1 when you guys have it completed .
Is the hide grainy like the Ox Blood Hide?

Skyhawk

Jay
Please post a picture of the new chestnut hide 37J1 when you guys have it completed .
Is the hide grainy like the Ox Blood Hide?

Sure thing! There will be a lot of photos when this jacket is complete. We have been waiting quite a while to get this new color nailed down.

The hide is the same. The tannery we work with gets the raw Cape skins and then tans them to our color specifications. You won't be able to get this hide elsewhere as it is made specifically for us. It is not an "Off the rack" color you can find finished at a tannery.

I am very excited to have found this tannery. We will be experimenting with some different colors of Capeskin and should have a nice palette built up soon. There are a lot of vintage Capeskin jackets in a variety of colors of brown that I am interested in reproducing. Having a source that can tan me Capeskin to my specified colors really opens up my options.

Regards,
Jay

johnwayne

Lovely jacket, not sure about those orange patches though!
Seriously, oxblood is a nice option but quite personal I'm sure as is what I've always considered being an olive which I think Jay you have said could be an option? I know there's various views on whether that was ever a true colour back in the day likewise a butter colour that was a summer use jacket even though I believe the A denotes a summer weight jacket anyway? I think Aero may have produced a butter/ creamy colour as I think Bill Kelso does/did!

Skyhawk

Thanks JW! I could do a run of Olive Capeskin in the future. I have a lot of other projects on the table right now so it would be a future project. I am not sure if an Olive A-1 would be received well enough to warrant a run at the tannery. Something to ponder.....

2BM2K

The tannery we work with gets the raw Cape skins and then tans them to our color specifications. You won't be able to get this hide elsewhere as it is made specifically for us. It is not an "Off the rack" color you can find finished at a tannery.

I am very excited to have found this tannery.

Now this is interesting.

Ever since the Eastman A2 Manual published the leather specs along with
testing documents I have been hoping for someone to replicate the leather.

Does this mean that the tanner can and will be able to reproduce leather, using modern methods,
in accordance to the original requirements?