• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Dubow 1755 as new (almost)

Grant

Agree with Vic, that jacket has not been redyed. Every Dubow I've seen from that contract has been that same darker seal color.
Except for the knits, that jacket is in pristine condition!

Roughwear

I agree with Vic and Grant. The jacket is not a redye. I too have seen several from this contract and they were always dark seal.

dmar836

I don't see the color you see on the SSI either. You might be seeing original color under the remnants of the yellowing clear part of the decal.
Those knits would be a LOT of work. Unless there is other historical significance to the jacket and you can find the best knits available, I'd likely replace them.
Dave

johnwayne

Great find, looks by the folds/creases that it's been hidden away in a wardrobe for years and forgotten! Out of curiosity did you get it from someone here in UK?

ADC

Great jacket and great find. I would agree those knits are too far gone. Don't look right to have such a fine looking jacket with knits that are just about falling off.

Smithy

Just having a look at the pics again and enjoying them and just had an idea about the "IZ5g" stamp - could it be that this is actually Korean, and the jacket might have been a reissue for ROKAF aircrew, eg for Bout One personnel?

johnwayne

Personally, I would replace the knits particularly if you intend wearing it, they will only get worse and darning will take an age too! If it's purely for display or collection that's a decision only you can make but without wishing to sounds negative (I do know the delight in owning an original) like Andrew/Roughwear says, the stitching isn't the best and I'm surprised it got past the inspectors, the double stitching on the epaulets and the label itself looks below the usual Dubow standards. As echoed earlier, the way it's folded I wonder if it ever was actually issued albeit the decal wear suggests it's well used but again great find and interested to know what it set you back? On a separate note the warning re eBay global shipping sounds quite alarming!!

johnwayne

Wow you did very well I reckon, yes a shame about the knits but get them professionally replaced and the jacket will come to life, you ought to be really chuffed, I would be!

Grant

Here's a photo to encourage you to replace the knits. When I first picked up this otherwise mint condition goat Bronco sz 44, the knits were also moth eaten and trashed. It must have been stored for decades in a place moths had access to because the wool was in shreds. The rest of the jacket showed no wear other than the name of the pilot hand written in the lining (good thing moths don't like cotton!). The old knits were replaced with matching color knits and now the jacket's solid wearer. Good luck with your Dubow!

2BM2K

That is a good looking jacket.
Now where can I find some knits in the correct Dubow colour of dull-purple brown?