• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1933 Werber

Roughwear

Here are some pictures of the all original 1933 Werber which John Chapman used to pattern his reproduction. They add to the pictures of the size 44 example in the Eastman A-2 jacket book. They nicely show the character of the hh used. The jacket sold last year and these are the sale pictures. BTW. I did not buy it.

zhz44

JC told me that he has sold this jacket to someone, I am wondering who is the lucky new owner, wish it is me.

The leather used on this jacket is smooth, and I have no doubt that many originals are made with the smooth leather like this one. But, I also noticed the upper panel of the right sleeve seems to have lots grain.
The 33 Werber worn by General Chennault also has a lot of grain on it.

So, I think it is possible that some grain leather is also used on pre-war contract.

Roughwear

Yep, John sold his Werber on. He bought it from Gary Eastman to pattern from. I agree about the grain on this one and have said elsewhere that although many pre-War A2 were made from smoother hh, not all were, and some had a mixture of smooth and grainier panels.

Roughwear

Gary owns a size 44 Werber which is shown in his A-2 Flight jacket book and this may be the jacket you are thinking of.