• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old CWU 36/P

MikeyB-17

Believe it or not, this I'd the first flight jacket I've bought in quite a while. I'm a fan of CWU jackets, having owned several, but mostly 45/P's. The only 36 I had I didn't bond with and sold it on, but that was a newer non-bi-swing version. Saw this older one on EBay cheap, so I nabbed it. It's certainly had some use, with stitch holes for rank insignia and other patches, but it's still quite serviceable. The zip has been replaced, with non-matching thread, but with a military Scovill, which I suspect may have been done on base. I like to think it may have done some flying. Label is hard to read, but it appears identical to the 1980 Center in 'Suit up!' Getting a fair bit of use at the moment, and surprisingly warm for the lightweight version.

Attachments

• DSC_0290.JPG
    DSC_0290.JPG
    500.4 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC_0289.JPG
    DSC_0289.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 405

MikeyB-17

It's only the second bi-swing 36/P I've ever come across Peter, that's why I couldn't resist it. I love CWU's, very comfortable and practical jackets, my favourite wear-on-the-way-to-work jackets. The 45/P will come into play when it gets colder.

colekwok

I think I have a bi-swing 36/p in my storage, let me take some pictures for you guys later on. Yes, the CWU jackets are indeed very practical.

colekwok

So... as promised, my 36/p with bi-swing back. Apparently made by Alpha?! I am not sure whether the main CC zipper is a replacement of original, it is simply too small and easily can slip off pretty easily. My other CWU jackets all have chunky zippers....

View media item 189

B-Man2

Mikey B 17
The 36/p is a good solid jacket. Yours looks great in you. Best part is you can pick them up for cheap money.

MikeyB-17

Thank B-Man, it’s had plenty of wear since I got it, but the 45/P has taken over now, it’s getting chilly!
Colekwok, sorry I meant to reply to you, I think the zipper may be a replacement, the ones in ‘Suit up!’ Have all got the brass ones with big pullers, which is what both of mine have had.

colekwok

Thank B-Man, it’s had plenty of wear since I got it, but the 45/P has taken over now, it’s getting chilly!
Colekwok, sorry I meant to reply to you, I think the zipper may be a replacement, the ones in ‘Suit up!’ Have all got the brass ones with big pullers, which is what both of mine have had.

Mikey, thanks for your reply. Anyway, that was what I suspected. But I must say the person did a really good job in replacing the zips. I can't find any obvious stitch holes at all at the seams.

Pilot

Nice jackets. They show up here a lot on flee markets or in specialized shops in and arround Seoul, since we have several USAF and ROKAF airbases arround. Not sure all of them originals...but saw a few Alpha’s and Centre MFG’s.
They all looked good with a big blackened sturdy brass zip...IMHO..
What are the best contracts ( makers )?

ButteMT61

I got a NOS Spiewak 80's CWP-45. It's awesome. A little short on me, but I love it and the materials are top-notch and thick.
I get a lot of compliments on it which surprises me as it's too short, but I wear it anyway.
I've handled a lot of new(er) MA-1's, etc. and this one has what looks like similar nylon outer as this jacket here.
Good stuff, and I got it for nil.