• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylon Jacket Photo's....

oose

Hi all,

Here are some shots of 50's-60's pilots and there Jackets that i've gathered off the net, some posted on previous forum, but I thought I'd put them all together. :lol:

E-229011.jpg

f-100d_528651.jpg

Germany_Bball1.jpg

ls.jpg

korean661.gif

pilotl-2b-1.jpg

roy_blakeley_f104_large1.jpg

scottWhiteNeil1.jpg

SDENG010-A2351.jpg

swick_151.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

voodo1-1.jpg

voodo2-1.jpg

yours stu

usafwso

I always liked the hands-in-the-pocket pictures. One feature regarding the pockets on the CWU jackets was to make it difficult to stuff your hands into the pockets. The Air Force feels that hands in the pocket in uniform is sloppy. I'm in agreement with that.

zoomer

Is that a Nasal Radiator attached to the USAF outfit in picture two?
(Leftmost of the 2 dress uniformed officers)
Note his lack of ribbons or any insignia but wings.

Jake431

Man I hope that kid hung on to his Dad's jacket! Bad ass with that Voodoo One-O-Wonder patch on the sleeve.

-Jake

duck

scottWhiteNeil1.jpg

Warning!!!!! Noob questions. Just getting the flight jacket bug. :D

Can anyone help date this photo? I love the blue nylons and I would like to fix one up.
Did SAC use the blue nylons? If so, about what was the timeline?

Weasel_Loader

Well, the photo dates from around early 60s and the pilots are wearing L-2Bs, which are sage green. Scott Crossfield is on left and Neil Armstrong on right. Not sure about pilot in the middle.

SAC, like all other commands did use blue nylon. L-2A, B-15C, N-2A and N-3A. The heavier B-15C and the mod version faded from service quite fast (probably late 50s). The lighter L-2A stayed in service up to about early to mid 60s. N-2A and N-3A were in service into mid 60s.

Feel free to ask any other specific nylon jacket questions and we'll help you out. ;)

duck

Thanks for the info, Weasel_Loader. I thought that was Armstrong, but I wasn't sure. Didn't know the jackets were sage, they look blue on my monitor.
Sorry if I ask stupid questions, but my knowledge on these is less than nothing :oops:

tamoko

X-15 pilots Scott Crossfield (North American Aviation), Robert White (USAF), and Neil Armstrong (NASA)
Photographed at symbolic handoff of "keys to the X-15", representing delivery of the aircraft by North American and acceptance of it for the flight research program conducted jointly by the Air Force and NASA.
both looks like MIL-J-7448C L-2B's Skyline.
Later N. Armstrong put NASA "meatball" patch over USAF shoulder decal..
x15_Crossfield_White_Armstrong_02.jpg

tamoko

X-15 "Man In Space Soonest"
USAF program to put a man into outer space before the Soviet Union and befor Mercury program

Robert Michael White one from "Man In Space Soonest"
White flew the X-15 at 4093 mph (6590 km/h), making him the first pilot to fly (Mach 6)
Major White flew the X-15 to an altitude of 314 750 feet (59 miles, 96 km). This qualified him for an Astronaut Badge, becoming the first "Winged Astronaut", one of few who have flown into space without a conventional spacecraft.

Weasel_Loader

Thanks for sharing the photos Gleb. I don't think that's Neil though. He might be in the cockpit, but I don't see how any of the guys look at all like Neil Armstrong. ;)

watchmanjimg

bw-8 said:
Can anyone tell what the patches are on the F-101 pilot's jacket?

Left shoulder: "Voodoo One-O-Wonder" patch
Right shoulder: appears to be ADC skill patch
Left chest: 2nd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron
Right chest: still trying to figure out . . .

RudyN

Thanks for posting the pictures. They are very nice. I now have a B-15C on the way from a member of this forum. The pictures now make me want to get more flight jackets. I think that this fourm is going to become expensive. :mrgreen:

ausreenactor

Thanks for that.. The legendary Chuck Yeager placed the flying ahead of dress regulations. Pushing the envelope is certainly one of his strong points.