• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newey studs for a Para Smock

Ian C

Hiya,

I've just managed to buy a British Army DPM Para Smock which replaced the Denison. I bought it for the archery shoots when we go roving as my old one got nicked a few years ago. They are superb for this as they keep the wind of without being bulky like a padded jacket.
It's in superb condition apart from some of the Newey studs which need replacing. Does anyone know where I can get any and I also read somewhere that you need a tool to fix them?

Thanks,

Ian

dmar836

Pics? I know for a while, post-war(maybe early 50s) Denisons were being sold as WWII. I never figured out the differences so never dared purchase one.

Dave

Ian C

Thanks for the ebay link.

I'll post some pics up shortly. It does have Newey snaps. As far as I can see it's just a progression of the Denison but I'm not expert on them.

Ian

ghq1

As a general rule

1st Patt: wool cuffs and NO rear brass Neweys for the cod piece

2nd Patt: button cuffs and two rear brass Neweys to hold up the cod piece

Post war or Belgian (ABL) models may have chrome Neweys and typically mix the 1st and 2nd patts by using wool cuffs AND two rear take up snaps . . .

Ian C

Looks like it's 1st pattern then.

DPM Para Smocks don't have Newey. What you want is 'pull or lift the dot' fasteners/ They're available all over the place. Do a google search. One e.g. here:

Thanks for the help with the studs-best get some ordered then.

Ian