• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New patch photos in photobucket link...............

EMBLEMHUNTER

Well , after posting all the photos of various patches over 100+ I'm glad I didn't waste money on a digital camera to post photos for , no one has ordered anything, got some replies about them being good etc, but compliments don't pay the bills......................

a2jacketpatches

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Well , after posting all the photos of various patches over 100+ I'm glad I didn't waste money on a digital camera to post photos for , no one has ordered anything, got some replies about them being good etc, but compliments don't pay the bills......................

A digital camera would have allowed you to explore other avenues a bit, not a waste of money. And if you actually had patches physically available, were able to photograph them, and manage an Ebay account, the possibilities of selling increase. Five different posts, all pointing to the same photobucket photos, to such a limited number of possible buyers, what do you expect? Please re-read all the advice you were given by everyone. I hate to think my advice was a possible waste of your money, and most certainly will not waste any more of my time advising you of what has worked for me.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I appreciate your advice very much , please don't think I don't , it's just that I can't see why people supposedly look at this site a lot from all over the "world" it would seem to me that I'd have enough "exposure" here , if the market is that hard to get orders that I have to post on a zillion sites practically everyday there just isn't that many people collecting anyway ..............................

In the 30 years I have been making patches I've probably made a couple thousand give/take , I can't possibly post them all and I thought the wide variety I did post would at least give the "Viewers" more than enough to see my work/technique etc to judge if they want to order from me .

Another thing not all patches were "layered" and not all just painted direct , but it seems like the "layered" types get more orders , and I wonder if the people buying these types know that or don't care just because the "Layered" type look cooler .....................

If you're going "authentic" you have to make sure the area of operations the patch was used in was of that type or the single painted type.

Just wondering on that ...................................

a2jacketpatches

The people that look at this site from all over the world are a tiny fraction compared to the people that go to Ebay and type WW2 Squadron Patch.

You don't have to post on a zillion sites, just one, Ebay, the site with a zillion viewers. But you continue to pound a very small crowd here, FD, and others with pictures of past product. You are limiting yourself, no impulse sales, and your at the back of the line to a BUNCH of other guys actively painting with physical stock of product to sell.

Painted, layered, incised , or whatever, I do mainly layered leather work because it does look cool and not everyone and his brother is doing it. for the most part, the CBI is where the multi-layered method was used and pretty uncommon everywhere else, but not impossible. So I do some other than CBI's this way especially if the design would work well with it. This small crowd here and other forums are pretty picky about their jackets and most don't even want patches on them. So I do accommodate the specs requested here but don't let it dictate what I can and cannot do for the other 99% of my sales.

I don't have to follow any "authentic" rules, making sure layered leather was typical of the theater. I use two period 1930's sewing machines, cotton thread, and leather. I will soon be painting in a limited capacity using period correct oil paints as well. What a customer "knows" or "cares" about is really not my concern. But talking the subject with some leads me to believe most just want an authentic look. Just the other day I advised a guy to put minimal patches on his jacket if he wanted a typical AVG example because he asked. Otherwise, he probably would have bought a bunch. I do offer my knowledge but can't spend my time educating the world.

I will say this, most patch buyers looking at the very common, very bright, super clean, shiny, acrylic patch with intense colors, are not seeing what they want to buy.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I have posted info/link on the following sites
B-26MHS.org(message board)
All Military.com
Armchair General.com
Aero Forum.us
WWII Forums
Axis History Forum
Military History Online
Warbird Information Exchange
World War Militaria.com
P-47Pilots.com
jaircraft.com
US Militaria Forum
Luftwaffe Experten Message Board
P-40Warhawk.com
P-47Kitmaker
The Fedora Lounge
IACMC Militaria Forum
This site of course
Mustangs Mustangs
Aces Contrails and Unsung Heroes
WW2 Aircraft.net
P-47 Advocates.com
Warbirds Forum.com
Aviation Banter.com
lbirds.com
collectingfriends.com
Stardestroyer.Net.BBS
The Flying Boat Forum(Seawings)
reenactor.net
j-3Cub.com
The H.A.M.B.
The Ship Model Forum
World War Two Zone
12oClock High.net
Military Quotes.com
ww2 reenactors.proboards.com
Living History Worldwide.com
Gentlemen's Military Interest Club
War Relics Forum
rc groups.com
VFW webcom.org

Now if that isn't trying I don't know what is, also it hink E bay is a pain as you havet o set up Pay Pal, then jack up the price for your item as they have tog et their "Piece" of it,then postage has to go into the price , then you have to hope to get paid for the item, or have anyone say it didn't get there, wasn't what they thought it would be etc etc etc , then the hassles of refunding or fights and or bad comments against your page etc etc , I want to keep my price reasonable at $50.00 per patch and not have to go where most average people can't afford to buy them , I have even had people here complain "$50.00" is too much, get real ..............................

I don't have the extra cash or supplies to make a patch/es that "may" sell on e bay , as you say they're "picky" about their jackets and you know they'd be the same about the patch/es too , and the overseas sales I have seen many stories on a couple of sites where they are always having "disputes" over the item either not getting there, or the person there switching it and then complaining it wasn't what was sent etc etc , , sorry but E bay isn't my bag , i'll go with the forums and hope for the best , but again mUCH tahnks for your comments/suggestions they are appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny
Btw ,I have done some "Aged" patches, did three for forum member Dujardin and wish he would post them again close up photos so how I make my "Aged" versions can be seen . the patches during ww2 when first made for a pilot etc were "Bright and colorful" and only "Aged" when worn, not all patches fromWW2 got messed up ,but as you say,people will want new and old so, I'll have to see how things go.......

a2jacketpatches

You just come right out and say you're getting zero results from all your efforts, so I'm just trying to offer a better approach. I've spent a considerable amount of time explaining things and was even gonna send you my old camera as I just bought a new one, but I'm afraid you'd never give it a try. And yesterday I burnt my spare ribs replying to you dammit :lol:

I really do wish you the best in your endeavors but I'm done, good luck, over and out.

EMBLEMHUNTER

If all the sites I'm posted on don't give results , what "guarantee" would I have E bay would be any better ..................................
Your layered patches really aren't all that "dull" in their colors either and look "new" to me , I really don't see the difference in their look from mine other than being "layered" .....................................................but you're as much as insinuating yours are better and will sell over mine, well so be it ..........................................
I so much as mentioned in my other post that you and the few others that are on this site have it sewed up sales wise and you said yourself I'm down in the line of "pecking order " so it looks to me that this site is the big waste of time for me to even try to get orders from ........

a2jacketpatches

You need to realize that people are trying to help you and cannot guarantee you anything, that's just not reality.

I'm not the one asking why my layered patches are not selling, so your comparison is irrelevant. And I am not insinuating anything, mine sell because I offer something different. I don't place you down the pecking order so please don't quote me on something I did not say. Your incorrect and over use of quotation marks on key words gives your comments a sarcastic tone. You seem to be taking constructive criticism the wrong way.

I did say and I'll quote "and your at the back of the line to a BUNCH of other guys actively painting with physical stock of product to sell"

All I meant is that guys are doing what you choose to ignore, ebay, a physical stock for impulse sales, able to photograph and send a picture. It seemed as though you were on the right track a while ago in another thread and agreed with everyone. You said you did have the money for a camera, and honestly, how much to paint a patch?

I REALLY want to see you succeed with some sales, it would help our little market overall in the end.

Vcruiser

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
..... so it looks to me that this site is the big waste of time for me to even try to get orders from ........

I think you are right.
If you can't utilize how other patch makers make it so easy for members/customers..and only complain and cry that 'No one is buying'..then you are blaming members here and those who have tried to help you for your failings. It gets old. It's not mandatory that anyone buy anything on the VLJ. It is up to you how much effort you want to put into how you advertise..and if you are listening to or noticing just what most customers are now looking for.
Any desperation should be left behind the scenes. Makes for a bad impression and just not very professional.

a2jacketpatches

Vcruiser said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
..... so it looks to me that this site is the big waste of time for me to even try to get orders from ........

If you can't utilize how other patch makers make it so easy for members/customers.

You hit the nail on the head. I buy any and all supplies I could possibly need online because of the availability, ease of payment, record of customer service, delivery to my home, pictures, and everything else this modern technology provides to make it easy. I spent 300- this week buying materials on Ebay as opposed to flipping through a catalog, placing an order, and waiting a week or two. All should be here at my door step today and tomorrow. End of story.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Will be adding a 47th Bomb Sqd along with the MTB RON-5 patch soon ,just got the 47th order today , same person told me to send both together and will post when he gets them .

bfrench

Administrator
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
47th Bomb Sqd , MTBRON-5 and a 48th Pursuit Sqd patch added to the link

We've created the Reproduction Manufacturers thread especially for the notification of new products.

I see you've already used it so please keep the product lines there.