• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW (and old) MEMBERS MUST PLEASE READ

dmar836

I don't read all threads and am not a mod but there has been a rash of recent unnecessary comments made that need to be addressed. VLJ used to be "closed" requiring membership approval. Recent changes have apparently allowed easier access to the forum. New members are welcome but please know there is a certain decorum expected here - for all members.
There is no pecking order here. There are some very knowledgeable members with impressive collections, skills, and experiences. Other forums have distracting or misleading info and questions that resurface over and over to the point they are no longer addressed. On VLJ information is usually distilled and eventually vetted.
New member involvement is encouraged but several posts, just today, have newer members disrupting dialog with somewhat inflammatory and distracting comments towards other members - some appear to be simple misunderstandings.
Taking a defensive or aggressive approach, whether a vet here or an unfamiliar face, will do nothing but discourage input from those who have the most to offer. Others members see this and respond in turn.
Some members in the past with excessive solicitations, those who are contentious, and those committing fraud have been banned from this forum to preserve it. Perhaps some new members have an old axe to grind but please, whoever you might be, don't allow trolling pot shots or petty coalition building to diminish the great info on this site.
JMO,
Dave

Skip

Thanks Dave for bringing this up, I totally agree with your statement. I' don't have much time to read every post either but have noticed an unnecessary 'edge' in some posts towards others here or what has been said, and was wondering how the mood of the forum may change. This is not the Hat place. We all have personal opinions, in which we're not always going to agree on, but some respect towards others points of view and experience goes along way; we all come from various walks of life. Banter is a good thing, egotistical point scoring is not.

Pilot

I don't read all threads and am not a mod but there has been a rash of recent unnecessary comments made that need to be addressed. VLJ used to be "closed" requiring membership approval. Recent changes have apparently allowed easier access to the forum. New members are welcome but please know there is a certain decorum expected here - for all members.
There is no pecking order here. There are some very knowledgeable members with impressive collections, skills, and experiences. Other forums have distracting or misleading info and questions that resurface over and over to the point they are no longer addressed. On VLJ information is usually distilled and eventually vetted.
New member involvement is encouraged but several posts, just today, have newer members disrupting dialog with somewhat inflammatory and distracting comments towards other members - some appear to be simple misunderstandings.
Taking a defensive or aggressive approach, whether a vet here or an unfamiliar face, will do nothing but discourage input from those who have the most to offer. Others members see this and respond in turn.
Some members in the past with excessive solicitations, those who are contentious, and those committing fraud have been banned from this forum to preserve it. Perhaps some new members have an old axe to grind but please, whoever you might be, don't allow trolling pot shots or petty coalition building to diminish the great info on this site.
JMO,
Dave
Very well said, thx.
Please implement, pe. by asking a throughout ID check, so it avoids the old axes to swing arround.

johnwayne

Thanks for being vocal on this point Dave. Must admit that personally I've only ever read a few 'negative' things and probably only twice have I felt like offering a barbed response to comments but refrained 'cos sometimes it's just not worth it! I can only compliment the many who share their knowledge and comments that have become, to me, an almost daily ritual - my VLJ fix you might say but which to my dear wife is bit of a standing joke!!

Thomas Koehle

actually I do not remember since when I'm posting here but never felt like being offended or sharp edged ...

previously posting on "the hat site" as well as for example on "denimbro" I meanwhile check only rarely on those other 2 pages coz I feel more "at home" here with my special interests

tried to "refresh" a deck-jacket thread "on the hat" without even one single answer which again "confirmed" for myself to better post here than on any other of the existing forums

well said with those "newbies" but still difficult to set the "red line" not to be too "exclusive" and really get rookies a chance for posting without too many hurdles to take before