• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to send a secret message?

John Lever

My uncle was in The Coldstream. Guards.(6' 5'') He was taken prisoner by the Italians. He used the first letter on each line of a letter to tell his wife where he was. Italy.

John Lever

PaulGT3 said:
Does that mean his requests fell on unencoded ears for all these years?
All the letters were read by the army who new the code. He was sending info. on troop deployment and numbers. He also asked for a map so that he could escape.

Skip

John Lever said:
PaulGT3 said:
Does that mean his requests fell on unencoded ears for all these years?
All the letters were read by the army who new the code. He was sending info. on troop deployment and numbers. He also asked for a map so that he could escape.

And did he escape?

John Lever

Are we talking about my uncle of the war hero ?
Not sure about the bloke in the article. My uncle was pow for a few years I think.

rich

John Lever said:
Are we talking about my uncle of the war hero ?
Not sure about the bloke in the article. My uncle was pow for a few years I think.

The majority of POW's were not fervent escapers, and even opposed those who were because of the punitive measures they brought down on themselves and everybody else. Given your uncles height, I doubt he would have been approved by an escape committee as a candidate because I imagine, especially then, that it would have made him very conspicuous. One of my uncles was a pow, and the years he spent in captivity ruined his health for the rest of his life. I think surviving the long years of living in abject squalor and misery makes your uncle a hero in his own right John.

John Lever

When Red Cross parcels arrived ( if the guards hadn't eaten them) the butter and the jam would be eaten as is straight out of the box, no bread or other accompaniment. Burt never forgave the Italians as they treated him quite badly.But that's war.

Andrew

The other night I watched Michael Mosley's doco on fasting and extended life span. Fascinating stuff suggesting that periods of minimal calorie intake will greatly improve your helath and lifspan.

Thinking it over later it occured to me that two fellas I know/ knew had both lived extremely long lives (my father in law passed away last year at 91 who spent the entire War as slave labour and a mate who spent 3 years at stalag Luft III is still with us at 94). Not exactly a definitive cross section but at the time it would have been unimaginable for them to think they'd still be kicking so many years later. There's probably heaps of similar examples.

rich

Andrew said:
The other night I watched Michael Mosley's doco on fasting and extended life span. Fascinating stuff suggesting that periods of minimal calorie intake will greatly improve your helath and lifspan.

Did you see his one on 'the truth about exercise' ? Apparently, just 3 x 1 minute (flat out) on an exercise bike each week can have benefits completely out of proportion to the time and effort required. But also, some people will never get any benefit from exercise however hard they train, you can be tested for this according to the programme. His parting shot was though, because so many of us are so sedentary, 'the chair kills'. (I am sitting as I type :( )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cywtq