Named first contract A-4 Flight Suit

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by Roughwear, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Production of the A-4 flight suit began in the 1931 fiscal year and ended in 1943. This A-4 suit is from the first order in 1930 (1931 fiscal year) made by H D. Lee Inc under the 31-297P order. I don't have any information on the quantities ordered, but as the Air Corps was small then perhaps no more than 2,000. It is tagged a size 44.

It has features not seen on later versions, such as two knee pockets, a leather hanging strap and a separated fly. The zips are size 5 Talons with Hookless stamped on the puller in smaller letters. The zips have a 1925 patent on the other side of the pullers.

It is in remarkable condition for its age, having a couple of repairs and evidence of paint splashes.

Written on the name strip is D.L. Hutchins. I have researched him and discovered he was born in 1895/6 and died in 1972 at the age of 77. He most likely joined the AC after WW1, probably sometime in the 192os and was a major in 1937 when he undertook a year's course at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces. In November 1944 he was appointed Commanding Officer for Base Air Depot No. 2 at Warton, England, holding the rank of full bird colonel. The suit still retains his colonel rank insignia. If anyone knows anymore about Hutchins please let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Very nice Andrew.

Roughwear likes this.
  3. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Something for DX 2019?

Roughwear likes this.
  4. Roughwear

Quite possibly Steve.

Steve27752 likes this.
  5. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

:eek:

6. Roughwear

The suit is very robust and would stand up to wearing from time to time just as my original A-2s and irvins do. I can see no point in simply leaving such items to spend the rest of their years in a storage!

Steve27752 likes this.
  7. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Id be petrified if i split it !

8. Roughwear

It is lucky it is not your suit then!;)

9. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Cracking A-4 Andrew and the condition looks to be mint, better than the few we have at the museum here languishing in acid free paper ;)

Roughwear likes this.
  10. Officer Dibley

Officer Dibley Active Member

That the one that hung around on ebay for ages ?
    Nice to know it went to a good home.

11. Roughwear

Not as far as I know. It was sold by a friend of mine and only listed once.

12. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

I just acquired a mint Unissued NOS A-4 Flight Suit sized 44 dated 1942 (crown zipper with leather pull) for $175 ...which is what the modern repros at WPG are going for! so I feel I made a decent score. not as cool as a named theater used or that 1930 hookless above though! wow!

s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg

Flightengineer, Steve27752 and Geeboo like this.
  13. Roughwear

But still a great score! Well done.

Edward likes this.
  14. Edward

Edward Well-Known Member

thanks! I thought so! just added pics to my post.

15. Roughwear

Thank you for adding the photos. It is interesting to see some of the differences between this 1942 order and the first order from 1930, such a the one leg pocket and single breast pocket and chain hanger.

Edward likes this.