• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Named first contract A-4 Flight Suit

Roughwear

Production of the A-4 flight suit began in the 1931 fiscal year and ended in 1943. This A-4 suit is from the first order in 1930 (1931 fiscal year) made by H D. Lee Inc under the 31-297P order. I don't have any information on the quantities ordered, but as the Air Corps was small then perhaps no more than 2,000. It is tagged a size 44.

It has features not seen on later versions, such as two knee pockets, a leather hanging strap and a separated fly. The zips are size 5 Talons with Hookless stamped on the puller in smaller letters. The zips have a 1925 patent on the other side of the pullers.

It is in remarkable condition for its age, having a couple of repairs and evidence of paint splashes.

Written on the name strip is D.L. Hutchins. I have researched him and discovered he was born in 1895/6 and died in 1972 at the age of 77. He most likely joined the AC after WW1, probably sometime in the 192os and was a major in 1937 when he undertook a year's course at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces. In November 1944 he was appointed Commanding Officer for Base Air Depot No. 2 at Warton, England, holding the rank of full bird colonel. The suit still retains his colonel rank insignia. If anyone knows anymore about Hutchins please let me know.

Roughwear

The suit is very robust and would stand up to wearing from time to time just as my original A-2s and irvins do. I can see no point in simply leaving such items to spend the rest of their years in a storage!

Smithy

Cracking A-4 Andrew and the condition looks to be mint, better than the few we have at the museum here languishing in acid free paper ;)

Edward

I just acquired a mint Unissued NOS A-4 Flight Suit sized 44 dated 1942 (crown zipper with leather pull) for $175 ...which is what the modern repros at WPG are going for! so I feel I made a decent score. not as cool as a named theater used or that 1930 hookless above though! wow!

s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

Roughwear

Thank you for adding the photos. It is interesting to see some of the differences between this 1942 order and the first order from 1930, such a the one leg pocket and single breast pocket and chain hanger.