• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My quest for an original A-2 in wearable condition

Persimmon

I would request measurements as a size 42 in war time can be a different fit to today
Pit to pit ( armpit )
Front length ( zipper )
Back width
Back length
Arm length ( get it measured around the outside of the arm )

Peter Graham

I’ve had great results with Pecard antique leather dressing. Maybe you’ve noticed but the leather hanger is missing from inside the collar. This probably means that it’s been relined. The cuffs and waistband look to have been replaced also, but that’s not a big deal.

dmar836

Measurements would be a must. I'd say the knits are not the right material and not replaced properly. They appear thin and sagging, and set too long. The waist knit was set in without pre stretch so it just hangs straight down. I would have to wonder if the lining is done correctly. The right top of the zip might have something going on. Looks short but could be an illusion. Others would have ideas there. The seller is telling us it is smaller than listed so you can be sure it is on the small side.
Not that Pecards wouldn't help but in my experience if a seller feels the need to mention stiffness, it's much worse than it appears. This might have already received some sort of treatment. He wore it a few times might not mean it is supple enough for that. "Many years ago" could have been in the 70s.
I hate to tear it apart but you have to read between the lines then decide. Usually people overrate the condition - that's just trying to sell. Even if spot-on the pics show more of a display jacket that likely needs a better restoration IMO.
All in all just not the best wearer IMO. If you go for it let us know how it is.
Dave
P.S. Have you had the chance to handle many originals?

tjoenn

Thanks a million! That's exactly why this forum is invaluable! I pretty much missed all the things you guys mentioned, but that's how you learn! I definitely won't go for this jacket. I'd rather pay twice of that and get something I know I will be happy with. And no, I haven't had the opportunity to handle any original WWII jackets, only seen them in museums. My only original is a G-1 from mid 50's.

Pilot

Thanks a million! That's exactly why this forum is invaluable! I pretty much missed all the things you guys mentioned, but that's how you learn! I definitely won't go for this jacket. I'd rather pay twice of that and get something I know I will be happy with. And no, I haven't had the opportunity to handle any original WWII jackets, only seen them in museums. My only original is a G-1 from mid 50's.
Just hope that no sharks here... not only real honest collectors..or/ and more or less inofficial brokers dealers...now all of them know where to buy IMHO a superbe ww2 original...
Would have send a request to the well known experts here not public...even without beeing a member...all can read this..
Hope all good anyway....

dmar836

There are lots of watchers on that auction. Didn't see when it went up but for $750 a painted original would be gone if not for all the issues. Maybe still not a bad deal but no provenance, small size, not great paint, needs knits an lining to look original, etc.
I'm sure it's happened and likely will more now that this forum is open but historically I've yet to see such a jacket show up in another's collection(on this forum).
Dave

Last edited:

Roughwear

I agree with all your points Dave. It would appear to be relined and the hanging strap is missing. The fact that there is no picture of the bottom of the Crown zip always begs the question is there separation on the male end, which is commonly seen on Crown zips today?