• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new ELC monarch

seres

View attachment 5293 Interesting.
I was talking with Rob and getting details from this monarch I got new from eBay back in April. According to their records it was made back in 2007 based off the numbers on the tag in right hand pocket. However it’s odd since the jacket was definitely new and unworn when I got it. According to the records it was made for a guy in Slovakia....

This made me curious, so I looked at the tag in the right hand pocket of my Monarch. I purchased my Monarch in April 2017 from Charles at HPA. This jacket was manufactured just weeks before I received it, as I had to order it from Charles, and then he included it in his next stock order from Eastman Leather in England. When it arrived from England with his large stock order, Charles shipped it out immediately. It had that strong, new leather aroma and had NEVER been used.

Now the curious part. My tag looks exactly like your tag, and has exactly the same numbers as in your pic: 4219, and below that 110, and then below that the size 46. Same as yours, except the bottom number says 46 (my size), instead of 40 (your size).

And the leather looks exactly like your leather. It's new production.

jeremiah

Ah. Yeah I thought this was too grainy to be that old.
Interesting.
Smelled strong of leather when I got it.

Just can’t see mine being 10 years old looking like it did when I got it.

So what do you think is up?
Are all jackets made in England and HPA sells them on this side of the pond?

Last edited:

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Jeremiah, I'd say that your ELC Monarch now looks way too much better compared with its original look (when it was new). A lot of grain, tons of creases. Man, that's a real beauty now! It looks just superb!

jeremiah

Thanks.

A3B62263-5366-4E84-AF42-086431BB5A63.jpeg

FEF8FA6D-8034-4DB3-9CDC-87B64CF5898B.jpeg

Yeah. Rob said something must have happend with tags. In 2007 they did not use the horsehide label in left pocket he said.

Last edited:

Lebowski

^^
Man, that's one of the best A-2's lying on the grass above. What a beauty, you've got the main prize! Very like it!)

Last edited:

jeremiah

Thanks. I have done everything in this and have worn it almost daily since getting it. Sadly temps are warming up but it’s been fun and very comfortable.

Officer Dibley

This thread is absolutely emblematic of all those people who slag off a manufacturer about hide grain - or lack thereof- and stiffness but who haven't put the time in to wear the jacket.

Being a jacket aficienado is all about sweating the small stuff but give a brand new jacket a chance already ! Or buy a worn one of course.... ;-)

The ones we base our views on from long ago got tonnes of wear from the time of issue onwards. A-2's were a uniform item. They were better than wearing a tunic. They HAD to be worn all the time. You had no civilian clothes to change into. To get that look you have to replicate the hours and months of constant wear (or go full HWT).

And Jeremiah, your jacket is THE NUTZ !
Cheers !
Dave

Pilot

This thread is absolutely emblematic of all those people who slag off a manufacturer about hide grain - or lack thereof- and stiffness but who haven't put the time in to wear the jacket.

Being a jacket aficienado is all about sweating the small stuff but give a brand new jacket a chance already ! Or buy a worn one of course.... ;-)

The ones we base our views on from long ago got tonnes of wear from the time of issue onwards. A-2's were a uniform item. They were better than wearing a tunic. They HAD to be worn all the time. You had no civilian clothes to change into. To get that look you have to replicate the hours and months of constant wear (or go full HWT).

And Jeremiah, your jacket is THE NUTZ !
Cheers !
Dave
Agree... but HWT not with any makers A-2...
not all hides can handle ( rain water or even hot water ) it the way one expects it... see my recent posts...

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Agree... but HWT not with any makers A-2...
not all hides can handle ( rain water or even hot water ) it the way one expects it... see my recent posts...

Personally i would not do HWT - though i did it in the past...- now i just like to wear naturally. But the treatment of a jacket, be it painting it. Adding patches or painting the back, are all personal preference.

jeremiah

I did a very very light HWT with this back at the beginning. I was lucky with results but I will never do that again. The majority of wear and how this looks today has more to do with me wearing it daily while working and playing. I am crazy enough to wear this in Mississippi while driving with AC on or sitting inside with AC. My wife is great to put up with my neurosis.

I can only hope my BK victory Aero looks as good after time.

Last edited:

Lebowski

No HWT nor tonns of constant wear can improve the look of the leather if leather isn't good, it can't make dull flat leather being grainy and good looking.
Contrariwise, the good natural leather will be just better with its constant everyday wear, even without any HWT.
That's correct.
HWT is always quite a risky (sometimes quite effective though... but sometimes not) attempt to speed up the natural course of events.
Anyway, if leather isn't good - it'll be the same isn't good after HWT and after tonns of wear.
If the leather is good - it'll be just better in the future after lots of wear.
That's the point.
Jeremiah's ELC Monarch is made of gorgeous leather. It's fabulous jacket to my taste.

Pilot

No HWT nor tonns of constant wear can improve the look of the leather if leather isn't good, it can't make dull flat leather being grainy and good looking.
Contrariwise, the good natural leather will be just better with its constant everyday wear, even without any HWT.
That's correct.
HWT is always quite a risky (sometimes quite effective though... but sometimes not) attempt to speed up the natural course of events.
Anyway, if leather isn't good - it'll be the same isn't good after HWT and after tonns of wear.
If the leather is good - it'll be just better in the future after lots of wear.
That's the point.
Jeremiah's ELC Monarch is made of gorgeous leather. It's fabulous jacket to my taste.
1000% agree

Dr H

Now the curious part. My tag looks exactly like your tag, and has exactly the same numbers as in your pic: 4219, and below that 110, and then below that the size 46. Same as yours, except the bottom number says 46 (my size), instead of 40 (your size).

And the leather looks exactly like your leather. It's new production.

Probably not so curious.
These are not bespoke jackets. It’s unlikely that the labels relate to production numbers, but are simply generic (produced in bulk) but differentiated by the sizes alone.