• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new ELC monarch

jeremiah

Just got this. It’s a tad big on me so I am trying to decide to keep or sell.
Anyway, the jacket is most definitely an oil pull up type or it’s chrome tanned or combination tanned. It’s from a Jan 2018 batch of the warhorse. I work with this type of leather for tote bags. Very smooth. Not a lot of grain. I am personally ok with that but what troubles me is how soft and pliable this is out the gate. Now an oil pull treatment will do this, but the hide is dyed completely through. That’s more like how chrome tanning works. Either this hide is oil treated or it was chrome tanned. I can’t see this being veg tanned only. These are conclusions I am drawing based on my experience as a leather worker who has handled lots of chrome and veg tanned leather respectively.

I throw in the caveat that I could still be wrong. Just too many things add up for me for this not being strictly and only 100% veg tanned. I am open to correction though.

Attachments

• 4D37146E-7B85-4A8C-9AE3-2CD7F4FC437C.jpeg
    4D37146E-7B85-4A8C-9AE3-2CD7F4FC437C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 452
Last edited:

Persimmon

A bit big where on you. Sleeve length. Body length etc.
I notice it’s a size 40. Are you not a 36-38 ?
Some things will work themselves in. Others you will never be satisfied.

Have you got pictures wearing it. Hopefully that should make it clearer.

Can you exchange it for a size down from Eastman

Steve27752

Just got this. It’s a tad big on me so I am trying to decide to keep or sell.
Anyway, the jacket is most definitely an oil pull up type or it’s chrome tanned or combination tanned. It’s from a Jan 2018 batch of the warhorse. I work with this type of leather for tote bags. Very smooth. Not a lot of grain. I am personally ok with that but what troubles me is how soft and pliable this is out the gate. Now an oil pull treatment will do this, but the hide is dyed completely through. That’s more like how chrome tanning works. Either this hide is oil treated or it was chrome tanned. I can’t see this being veg tanned only. These are conclusions I am drawing based on my experience as a leather worker who has handled lots of chrome and veg tanned leather respectively.

I throw in the caveat that I could still be wrong. Just too many things add up for me for this not being strictly and only 100% veg tanned. I am open to correction though.
Pics would help, if you are not happy send it back for a smaller size.

jeremiah

Yeah I got it from a seller on eBay. They don’t stock a 38. Leather is nice for sure.
Here is a pic. A little long in sleeves. I can live with the fit as I like the movement in it and can layer.

Last edited:

Persimmon

Agree. To large sadly.
If you can return it do.
You could try HWT to try and shrink it if it’s a non return but I think you will always be less than happy.

jeremiah

Yeah. I thought t might work based on the measurements. Will just sell. It will be up on FL later.
Edit:
Up on the classifieds over here for sale or trade.

I am bummed. Was a nice jacket.

Last edited:

Grant

If you bought it off ebay you can return it. It's part of the buyer's protection plan, despite what the seller may say.

jeremiah

If you bought it off ebay you can return it. It's part of the buyer's protection plan, despite what the seller may say.
Yeah I know but I wore it a few times so it’s not exactly in the new pristine condition it was sent to me in. I didn’t like do anything to it but I may ask the seller.

Edit:
I contacted seller and he said to send back. So I will do that Monday. I will keep it up on FL classifieds until then.

Last edited:

jeremiah

Decided I liked it too much and did a HWT on it. Here she is. I am only wearing a t shirt under it.

Attachments

• 95593B44-6ECC-40BE-81A6-2785ABF94D20.jpeg
    95593B44-6ECC-40BE-81A6-2785ABF94D20.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 423
  • 57F6EB9D-C2E8-4AA7-8E87-84A99F65E580.jpeg
    57F6EB9D-C2E8-4AA7-8E87-84A99F65E580.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 452

B-Man2

Well it fits a whole bunch better.
But man..... my hats off to you guys who have the ”huevos” to take a $1200 jacket and soak it in the shower.:eek:

jeremiah

feels much better. no shower here. Just some careful placement of some warm water in some areas and allowing to dry. The color was what I wanted. I wanted Horsehide and I wanted an Eastman. I like it now and can layer if I wanted to. and if I gain some weight down the road, it will still fit. plus the price I got it for was way better than a new one from Eastman.

Dr H

Looks fine in the torso/shoulders to me (comfortable fit if that's over a shirt).
Marginally long in the sleeves for my taste, but not by too much.

Garylafortuna

feels much better. no shower here. Just some careful placement of some warm water in some areas and allowing to dry. The color was what I wanted. I wanted Horsehide and I wanted an Eastman. I like it now and can layer if I wanted to. and if I gain some weight down the road, it will still fit. plus the price I got it for was way better than a new one from Eastman.

Fit is good, your logic is good. A-2s look better with a looser more contemporary fit. Looks like the Monarch is already a fairly trim fit in the torso area. Jimmy Stewart would have looked far more devil may care, and way more heroic, if only his A-2 had been a couple of sizes bigger. That jacket sir, fits and makes you look like an ace.

Persimmon

I still think it’s still to large. As you can’t return it now, I would give it more HWT and stronger. Wear it in the shower. Then wear it as it drys until molds to your shape. It should decrease the length slightly as well.
Then wear it to hell and enjoy it every day.