• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first repro A-2. ELC Cable Raincoat

Peter Graham

After the realisation that original A-2's don't make practical everyday wearers I had been toying with the idea of a repro A-2 and when this jacket appeared on ebay last week with a good BIN price I took the plunge. Living in a backwater, I've never seen another repro of any kind so all I had to compare it to was originals that I've owned and photos on this site. The jacket is as new condition and at first I didn't like it at all, it's so clean and neat looking, something I'm not too keen on. Then I thought it was OK and now I've decided that I really like it and it will be fun breaking it in. The goatskin has some nice graining but not half as much as my original AN-J-3a but of course it's not 60 years old. It's probably thicker than an original but is really supple and comfortable to wear. The quality and detailing seems superb but I've nothing to compare it to. It's cut pretty generous for a 38 so I might try hot water treatment to take it down about a half size. I'd appreciate it if someone could post an idiots guide to this process. Here are a few photos. I'd love to hear opinions on the jacket, good or bad. The pic of me wearing the jacket is not the true colour but the other pics are spot on.

a2001-1.jpg

a2003-1.jpg

a2004-1.jpg

a2002-2.jpg

Hawkeye

Looks good Peter, it suits you. I really like the goat that ELC is using for this contract. I've been toying with getting a Roughwear 1401 myself.

Roughwear

Very nice Peter. Like yours, my Cable A2 is very comfortable to wear and one of my favourite repros. Enjoy breaking it in. BTW. There is plenty on the hot water treatment on JC's flight jacket CD.

Roughwear

From John's CD.

For the hot water technique, I simply let the leather sit under running hot water for about 30 seconds, and then dry it off (not letting the non-leather elements get wet). I then wrinkle the leather and try to get natural texture to come out, sometimes with very vigorous mashing of the leather with my hands.

Afterwards, I let the leather sit and dry naturally, or wear the jacket, as the leather really is completely wet. Since the leather's been mashed, the natural texture comes out and it looks a lot more like the older leather, rather than stiff and straight.

Tim P

Cable is a favourite of mine. I way prefer the current interpretation than the reddish ones previously offered. Almost sprung for one in july at DX. approached the counter with it but bought aknocked about Star off cliff instead.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
From John's CD.

For the hot water technique, I simply let the leather sit under running hot water for about 30 seconds, and then dry it off (not letting the non-leather elements get wet). I then wrinkle the leather and try to get natural texture to come out, sometimes with very vigorous mashing of the leather with my hands.

Afterwards, I let the leather sit and dry naturally, or wear the jacket, as the leather really is completely wet. Since the leather's been mashed, the natural texture comes out and it looks a lot more like the older leather, rather than stiff and straight.
Cheers Andrew. I don't think that will shrink the jacket though. I've heard mention of spin dryers etc. Can anyone elaborate ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Great colour, Peter .... welcome to the carefree world of the repro wearer.

And it's nice to see that you can still pick up a Good Wearer close to home. ;)

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Peter,

It looks great - don't f**k with it.

But if you do - just try the collar first - dip the collar only in a sink full of hot water until the leather is thoroughly soaked through.

Remove and wring it out by hand - it will dry out enough like this to stop dripping - then let it air dry normally - you can work the leather by hand over the next day or so - see how that changes the look and size - with goatskin there doesn't appear to be much appreciable shrinking.

All you'll wind up doing if you do the whole jacket is increase the wear on the lining and wool parts.

But, the the jacket has a great fit as it is - look at the pictures of originals - they weren't meant to look like a motorcross bike jacket.

Bill French

Tim P

goat is a supple leather. allow the extra room for layering and enjoy comfort not usually associated with A-2's

TankBuster

Congrats Peter. The Cable is one of ELC's best jackets IMO. The arms look a tad long, but nothing I would get too concerned about.

Peter Graham

Thanks again guys. On reflection, I'll probably leave well enough alone and enjoy the extra room to make it a more versatile jacket. I'll just wear the hell out of it to take away the new look. Jeff, the arms are a tad long but as you said, nothing to worry about.

jack aranda

Hi, Peter:
That jacket looks great on you. I wouldn't do a darn thing to it except to wear it a lot. The fit looks fine.

better duck

Peter Graham said:
I don't think that will shrink the jacket though.
I'm sure of that. It will make the texture of leather come out though. Through wearing the jacket the sleeves will not exactly shrink, but bundle up in creases; this will make the sleeves appear shorter.

A

Anonymous

Nice one Peter. Good score.

I'm still waiting on my ELC Cable goat. Only 9 weeks now :|

J_H

Cobblers161

Nice fit Pete, suits ya.

Ditto what Better Duck said about the sleeves, once you've got some creases in there they'll shorten up just right.