• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Great Looking Chinese Military Leather Jacket Repros

Technonut2112

I like the look of that G-1, but I am concerned that WYS might not be WYG.

Would anybody be interested in the concept of a tontine ? We all put in £10 - 15, buy one to see what the quality is like and either one person buys it out or we eBay it.

I can see where one may be wary, but personally, I see no reason for it. I've made quite a few purchases from Chinese sites, and noticed that in most cases the seller supplies REAL detailed pics of the goods listed. The sellers are NOT paid through AliExpress for example unless the buyer is satisfied. That probably has a lot to do with supplying the best real pics they can.

To be honest, I have yet to have a bad experience, and have received the items pictured. Hell, on AliExpress, many sellers are even posting videos showcasing the products. I would bet money that the jackets being discussed will look exactly like the pics, and made with good / reasonable quality.

Most of the bait-and-switch operations using other makers pic's is usually an eBay thing these days from what I've seen.

Technonut2112

Wow...that doesn't look too bad. Comparing the measurements with my ELC star, the size 40 is shorter, as slightly shorter sleeves, but wider shoulders. The description says something along the lines of a cash back reward if you post pictures of yourself wearing these jackets :rolleyes:

Smart business IMO.. The company is giving incentive to folks, and getting ACTUAL wear pics of their jackets out to the public. Shows confidence in their work. I also want to link this 'Risk Rider' Rough Wear I noticed in another thread, since it's on-topic for this thread.. It WILL be the one I'm going to set-aside some $$ for... ;) High-end materials and specs for $679.00 USD..WOW!! :D

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/th...-jacket-review-pics.20936/page-18#post-204770

Last edited:

Brettafett

The Risk Rider would be my pick also, followed by the Star... But... I am $ committed to a few other jackets for now, otherwise I'd try one. Am a little nervous about the additional expenses (bringing that HW into the UK smashed me), sizing issues and the 'lost in translation' black hole...
Edit: Will check in again with you guys, if/ when I am want to try one of these.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Can you post a link to the RW1401 here please?

Sure thing... :)

Taobao Link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=35810366041&sku=20509:28391;1627207:6588790

engtaobao link "ready to order": http://www.engtaobao.com/item/35810366041.html

TB2llF0ipXXXXckXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!924888469.jpg

TB2d3WiipXXXXbsXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!924888469.jpg

TB2945cipXXXXXcXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!924888469.jpg

Shouldn't be too long to receive mine now: :D

Screenshot_2018-08-03 Screenshot.jpg

EDIT: Here's some hopefully helpful info from questions I tried to answer in another thread (currently towards the end) http://vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/dubow-mfg.21221/page-16 :

how do ya get the english translation for the taobao a-2s?

I would like to know the mechanics of how to order. I got to a point where payment information would be taken (I was ordering a Star) but could not make it past that...

I really didn't translate much at all. I used http://www.engtaobao.com, and more or less followed their instructions on how to place an order. I went by the pics and size charts to choose the jacket I wanted from Taobao, placed it into my cart, and went through check-out. engtaobao is about the only service I found with good reviews which would accept a Visa card as payment. The others wanted me to send a Western Union payment for the 1st order amount, which I would not do... ;) The link to engtaobao's 'tools' is here: http://www.engtaobao.com/guide/channel/tools.html Just look to the right of the page at the 'Help Category' links for more info, including 'Order Instruction' ..

Now, I am waiting for them to receive the jacket from the Taobao company that it came from in a few days. engtaobao will then take a pic of the jacket and allow me to approve it before repackaging and weighing it. I requested the listed measurements to be confirmed as well. I will then choose one of the shipping methods offered, and make the 2nd, and final payment including their 6% service fee (one of the lowest I found). It's going to be around $460.00 USD all said and done from what their cost calculator came up with by using 5 lbs as the jacket weight. It could actually be a small amount more or less. I have to wait until they get the jacket into their warehouse and repackage / weigh it.

Sound complicated? Kind of is, but it's necessary to jump through some hoops to snag one of these great-looking, seldom-seen-anywhere-else A-2 repros. Will it be worth it? Well, going by the less expensive, but excellent quality leather jackets I've purchased from China, and have been VERY pleased with, I'm fairly certain "yes".. going by the actual pics and higher prices... ;) The primary reason that many Chinese-manufactured goods seem cheaply-made is because they ARE... That's exactly what the businesses who ordered the cheap goods wanted from them. If one pays a higher amount for quality goods from China, I've found that one WILL receive quality goods in most cases. That's why designers like RRL and other heavy-hitters use them for their garments.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

From what I'm seeing, the descriptions for the Pirates RW 1401-P are looking damn good for the $$: :cool:

"This brand 13 years of efforts to develop a large-A2, the version in full accordance REAL MCCOY version, the Korean production of semi-vegetable tanned leather horse, all the hardware for the Japanese company produced WALDES A2 dedicated hardware, car line imported from Germany GUTERMANN sewing Line, Japanese wool blended threaded thread cuffs and hem

Special note: Our leather garments are all natural leather top layer leather. The natural texture and slight scar of leather are normal characteristics of leather. If you can't accept it, please bypass!"

EDIT: About the only thing lacking is not having a Crown zip, but I'll settle for the Waldes this time.. LOL...:p

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

But you are right, for that price.... I would love to try one of these, they look decent enough.
Perhaps down the line. If I do, be sure to post some constructive comments Ken. Thanks in advance.

I think if you scroll back through the threads you'll find I was the first person to point these out on VLJ, constructive enough?

Technonut2112

I ran across a 'budget model' Pirates 1401-P for $320.39 USD... :eek: Check out the specs I translated:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...238&pvid=343baf1f-46cc-4a8f-af26-6dcaa4fcba88

Fabric: vegetable tanned and translucent horse skin (Korea)
Lining: cotton 100% twill (Japan)
Excipient (I assume knits) 1: 70% wool / 30% fiber, threaded hem (Japan)
2: waldes company produces A2 special zipper, hardware (Japan)
Car line: GUTERMANN sewing thread (Germany)

Man, and I thought the HH Japanese Morgan Productions 'Morgan Memphis Belle' A-2's were a great deal for $400.00 USD.. The Pirates brand line-up blows it away. Reasonably accurate actual contract repros made of veg-tanned HH and good materials / hardware for a workingman's wage... Whodathunkit?? o_O

Compared to the version I ordered, one can see the difference in quality, and the price clearly reflects this. Still without a doubt the absolute best A-2 in it's price-range I have run across in both looks and materials to date, including the AVI offerings. ;)

TB2cjBVajbguuRkHFrdXXb.LFXa_!!924888469.jpg

TB2bVPCHgmTBuNjy1XbXXaMrVXa_!!924888469.jpg

Same as above in russet:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c-s.w4002-223471310.24.50e34602Hhznbe&id=574592019292

TB2ocT3HkyWBuNjy0FpXXassXXa_!!924888469.jpg_400x400.jpg

TB27Ev1HeOSBuNjy0FdXXbDnVXa_!!924888469.jpg

EDIT: Damn it!! :mad: After seeing that russet, I HAVE to get one.. :D For around $360.00 total, I would be crazy not to, since I REALLY like that shade of russet.. Hopefully one will be around in my size a few weeks from now.. I should trim-down and look quite good though, due to my recent (and foreseeable) change in diet after finding these gems: :eek::p:D *I'll also need to stash them away when my girlfriend drops by so I won't be blasted about the reason we're not going out as much these days*

stackoframen.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Looks good enough to me for the $$, and I see no 'extension' on the collar stand... ;)

TB2W1FWipXXXXczXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!924888469.jpg

TB2YVX3ipXXXXbHXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!924888469.jpg

EDIT: I was sitting around wondering how in the hell could these Pirates jackets be so nice for the $$?? Too good to be true... Then, I thought about my Japanese 'Morgan Memphis Belle' A-2 sold by Nakata Shoten. The HH is VERY nice, and could well be Korean-sourced, like the Pirates brand. The zipper is a Japanese Talon repro, it has high armholes and a convincing period look to it as well, and currently retails in Japan for around $430.00 USD. Given that, and the Pirates Jackets being made in China instead of Japan, it is quite plausible to get exactly what Pirates is showing at their price... I guess I'll be finding out for sure soon. ;):)

Last edited:

Whatsit

How does a guy switch the website to English? And I clicked on one that looked like the Eastman repro and it said $290 and the sizes if I’m seeing correctly went from 36-46
Mike

Attachments

• 08986F7C-A540-4C69-ABEB-9EECA2F3EB1B.png
    08986F7C-A540-4C69-ABEB-9EECA2F3EB1B.png
    530.9 KB · Views: 164
  • DFD09D83-BD9C-4495-8778-2120717D74C4.png
    DFD09D83-BD9C-4495-8778-2120717D74C4.png
    629.7 KB · Views: 191

Ken at Aero Leather

Looks good enough to me for the $$, and I see no 'extension' on the collar stand... ;)

View attachment 7383

This is how an A-2 with a collar stand should be finished on the RH Side, zipper flush with the front edge of the collar
Fitted as above will mean that either the collar is too short and will sit squint or the jacket will zip up off centre

Note the huge variation in the positions of the relative female side of the hook. My money is on a very offset collar

collar_details.jpg

Last edited:

Cocker

Just checked the link on TaoBAo... 72cm sleeve length on a size 42? Dang, that'd be perfect! @Technonut2112 , if you get one, let me know if the measurements of the size chart are correct.

Technonut2112

Don't get your hopes up folks.... The above order I had in was made 'Invalid', and a full refund issued to me. When messing with Taobao sales, it is wise to go through a well-researched and reviewed buying-service that accepts credit card payments. Like I posted, many of the other buying services requested a Western Union payment, which is totally insane IMO. :rolleyes: I was given no explanation as to 'why' my order was made 'Invalid', but suspect that the ordered jacket was received by the buying service, and rejected for NOT being as pictured and described.

It all worked-out though... Platon's Dubow listing resurfaced on eBay, and I now have an order in for a seal 27798, which is due for delivery in September.....;) :cool: As someone who is constantly sniffing out the absolute best deals on fairly accurate A-2's across the globe, I must say that this accurately-patterned HH Dubow is hands-down the BEST value for the $$ I've seen out there at this time. That includes AVI's offerings (unless they come out with an actual contract repro in HH for the same $$). I simply cannot touch something in the class of Platon's 27798 repro for $568.00 USD shipped to my door. TOTALLY blows my $430.00 USD Japanese Morgan Productions 'Morgan Memphis Belle' HH A-2 out of the water, as well as the 'better' quality Chinese A-2 repros which are available, BUT cost around the same or more.

I'll update this thread later with links to great quality, fairly accurate HH A-2 repros I've found in China which CAN be purchased. However like I stated, aren't much of a deal at all compared to the Dubow's cost of admission.

Brettafett

Cant argue with you... For a horsehide jacket, copied from an original WW2 contract A-2... With more than decent hardware and bits... Made by someone who clearly has passion and has done this before... Its hard to pass.
I am keen to see your seal version.

Technonut2112

If someone is looking for an inexpensive civvie A-2, this one may have handwarmers, but looks like a great 'knock-around' jacket in cowhide for $239.99, and can easily be purchased from AliExpress. Looks like the 3XL equals a trim size 44. I'll bet it would look even better after an application of Pecard brown.;) Single-piece back / two-piece sleeves. I LOVE the pocket flap scallops as well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...html?spm=2114.11010108.01008.3.650c649bYYrw90

HTB1WirFindYBeNkSmLyq6xfnVXah.jpg
HTB1yT0dqL1TBuNjy0Fjq6yjyXXac.jpg

Members online

Latest posts