• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Great Looking Chinese Military Leather Jacket Repros

Technonut2112

Just ran across this info over at the hat place... Some of the best looking Chinese repros I've seen for great prices. These can be purchased through a TaoBao buying service. Here's the link to the G-1 offered. Scroll down to see some 'Eastman' and 'Toys McCoy' repros:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.4.6acb5886iHVe5A&id=35841119750

At first, I thought that the pics were of stolen originals, but after researching the 'Eastman Star' further, I saw a pirate 'jolly roger' pocket tag (appropriate huh? :p ) Selling for a bit over $400.00 USD:

EDIT: It appears that 'Pirates' is the name of the company.. LOL! I found this info on another site: "Pirates replica World War II VEGETABLE TANNED Horse Leather A-2 Air Force Flight Jacket Eastman 28557"

TB2GeZ8v30kpuFjSspdXXX4YXXa_!!924888469.jpg

TB2qMFmwhdkpuFjy0FbXXaNnpXa_!!924888469.jpg

EDIT: The size 44 measurements don't look bad either:

Chest: Around 46.6"
Sleeves: Close to 26"
Shoulders: Close to 19"
Back Length: around 26"

Last edited:

B-Man2

Looks like a few nice jackets but I wonder if they are sized smaller to accommodate the Asian market, or will they be sized to accommodate the U. S. and European markets.

Technonut2112

Looks like a few nice jackets but I wonder if they are sized smaller to accommodate the Asian market, or will they be sized to accommodate the U. S. and European markets.

I just edited my post above... Seems like a 44 is the limit, and the numbers don't look bad for one. Looks like the 'Star' would fit me pretty well. ;)

Chest: Around 46.6"
Sleeves: Close to 26"
Shoulders: Close to 19"
Back Length: around 26"

EDIT: On 2nd thought, the numbers look like a nice, comfortable 42, or a 44 which may just be a tad snug for my liking. DAMN!! I hope someone grabs one of these repros. I'd love to see a review. The way the Chinese manufacturers have been upping their game by actually sourcing Italian and Japanese leather recently, these are more than likely VERY nice for the $$.. Hell, they even have the reinforcement stitching on the top pocket corners correct for a Star Sportswear... :cool:

Last edited:

B-Man2

For those prices it may be worth sticking your toe in the water . I still wonder why most of the manufacturers stop producing jackets at size 44. I guess it’s probably a management decision that has to do with several different marketing strategies.
Not too many people in the Far East bigger that a size 44.
Takes a lot more materials to produce jackets once you pass a size 44.
Takes longer to sell out larger sizes over a 44.
It would be interesting to hear their response.

Last edited:

zoomer

They may consider the bigger sizes the domain of high-end western makers. Wonder if any would produce garments for a western merchandiser.

Flightengineer

I also saw this topic on another forum. It would be interesting to see this jackets live. Maybe someone will venture and buy and show here.

Technonut2112

The Chinese are damn good 'replicators', especially at the $400.00 price point. Ralph Lauren, RRL, etc, have many of of their vintage-style jackets and garments manufactured there. I have little doubt that they are indeed horsehide, since I've recently seen Chinese companies actually sourcing Italian and Japanese hides for their jackets. It appears the Chinese company procured an Eastman Star, and a Toy's McCoy Rough Wear 1401-P, then dissected and patterned them.

If I wasn't afraid of the measurements being just a bit snug, I would be all over one of them like white on rice...:D

Skyhawk

That G-1 is a mess as far as the specs go. But if they lost the punched windflap and added a 55J14 label, it would be pretty legit. They need some guidance with the specs. They are copying things but obviously have no insight into the history of these jackets. The G-1 appears to have issues with the gusseted armpit design and the sleeves don't appear to be inset. I have a RE B series that is nearly that light in color so the color is not to far off the range of browns that they used. However, my RE is the lightest color of G-1 I have ever seen.

Regards,
Jay

zoomer

Could it be that they need an exact, pre-existing physical object to copy, rather than plans or patterns?

Last edited:

Juanito

I would try the Star, but the website is in Chinese and I al a little leery of buying when I can't read what I am getting into. Someone help me out and I'll be the one to dip my toe in the water on a 44.

Technonut2112

I would try the Star, but the website is in Chinese and I al a little leery of buying when I can't read what I am getting into. Someone help me out and I'll be the one to dip my toe in the water on a 44.

Sounds great. :) Here is the site I planned on ordering from before:

http://www.engtaobao.com/item/554949290947.html

Just register, place the web address of the item wanted in the 'Quick Buy' box, click it, add to your cart, follow instructions, and buy it. ;) Sizes, and how many are left in inventory will be shown. Here's the addy for one of the 'Star's':

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=554949290947

I appreciate you purchasing one and reviewing it. It would be nice to see it on someone else who wears a 44. Hopefully, after seeing it worn in pics, I can get a better idea if it would be a bit snug on me. If not, one will be in my future as well. :D

Juanito

^^^^^^Thanks for the info and links. I found a text converter in my computer. I can get the jacket in the cart but am having an issue with the shipping which is EMS.

Greg Gale

Wow...that doesn't look too bad. Comparing the measurements with my ELC star, the size 40 is shorter, as slightly shorter sleeves, but wider shoulders. The description says something along the lines of a cash back reward if you post pictures of yourself wearing these jackets :rolleyes:

Brettafett

Why would I want to be an agent???

But you are right, for that price.... I would love to try one of these, they look decent enough.
Perhaps down the line. If I do, be sure to post some constructive comments Ken. Thanks in advance.

Brettafett

I assume there will be import duties and taxes on these. And I can only imagine the drama trying to return it for a refund if it doesn't fit.
It says 'buyer to pay full return shipping' plus 10% restocking fee. It adds up.
Refurbishing my Cockpit jacket cost as much as this quasi-1401. Still... tempted.

Technonut2112

I assume there will be import duties and taxes on these. And I can only imagine the drama trying to return it for a refund if it doesn't fit.
It says 'buyer to pay full return shipping' plus 10% restocking fee. It adds up.
Refurbishing my Cockpit jacket cost as much as this quasi-1401. Still... tempted.

I've never had to pay any Custom's fees or additional charges here in the U.S. on any of my international purchases.. As for returns, I paid through the nose to ship things back internationally, and never was reimbursed for my charges. In the case of an exchange, most companies covered shipping the item back to me. Regarding fit, I purchased a jacket from Aero years back, and despite having my requested measurements, the jacket fit me like a tent, and I had to make an exchange (to their credit, the replacement fit very well), so IMO, ANY international purchase can be risky.. doesn't matter whether it's purchased in China, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. Restocking fees are also a common practice with businesses when returning for a refund, and not an exchange...

Otter

I like the look of that G-1, but I am concerned that WYS might not be WYG.

Would anybody be interested in the concept of a tontine ? We all put in £10 - 15, buy one to see what the quality is like and either one person buys it out or we eBay it.

Thomas Koehle

44 is as far as my experience is the biggest size I ordered online in China - back then there have been plenty of leather jackets available in the 3 famous fake markets in BJ but have been mainly repops or “night shift production runs” of Harley Davidson garment and stuff.

Once in a while I also saw a G1 in bigger sizes in these shops but have been mostly AVIREX with those additional side pockets and the patches all over (Top Gun edition????) - some of the jackets got their labels cut out but was obviously A...EX

There where some shops on the net which offered tailored versions but none of them offered mil-spec jackets

And the one time I tried such a service was really dissapointing

In China - at least 6 years ago - I never met any flight jacket enthusiasts - Nahua here in the forum and Geeboo (yep I know he is not from China mainland) are the only 2 pals I know collecting

As for Jen’s comment wondering why his sales figures to China are en reading is simple: rich Chinese which have enough money affording such a jacket will always buy the high-end / high price version just to show there pals “coz I can”

The gap in between the rich and low income people ist still huge - the middle level income was just in their beginnings to develop (eg engineers working for foreign companies)

Nahua - correct me if i’m wrong