• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McCoy's in fantasy land.

John Lever

Not sure if the description is correct, did the USAAF have Acme Thunderer whistles in WW2 ?
My wife had one of these for use when teaching and on play ground duty. We bought one recently inscribed as a gift for about 20 GBP.
The price is ridiculous 165 GBP

JonnyCrow

Not sure if the description is correct, did the USAAF have Acme Thunderer whistles in WW2 ?
My wife had one of these for use when teaching and on play ground duty. We bought one recently inscribed as a gift for about 20 GBP.

Kiss my ass haha like you said John they were everywhere the Merch even had them, they made them for everyone, like the dubious soe items that appear, total dreamer

Otter

More recent one, must be an SAS one then ! ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_150308250.jpg
    PXL_20231007_150308250.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 69

Micawber

Yep, Air Ministry RAF aircrew / ditching whistles were issued to USAAF flight crews. Originals are somewhat different to the Thunderers available from Acme today. These are originals.

Plastic versions were also used as well as the old 'Hudson Metropolitan' police type which also bore AM markings as well as others.

IMG_1456.jpeg
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1454.jpeg
IMG_1455.jpeg

Last edited:

Micawber

Just to add that the USAAF [US Army] did have their own versions but the AM 'snail' type was the type mainly used in the ETO especially where there was the possibility of ditching in water or ops over adverse terrain.

Original AM whistles were produced in vast numbers and like a lot of other stuff were freely available from surplus places for very little money for years which is why a lot of teachers used them postwar. Prices have crept up hugely in the last 10-20 years.

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

Just to add that the USAAF [US Army] did have their own versions but the AM 'snail' type was the type mainly used in the ETO especially where there was the possibility of ditching in water or ops over adverse terrain.

Original AM whistles were produced in vast numbers and like a lot of other stuff were freely available from surplus places for very little money for years which is why a lot of teachers used them postwar. Prices have crept up hugely in the last 10-20 years.
But not 165 quid Steve haha

JonnyCrow

I could buy a jacket fer 165 quid, the wife would love that one haha

JonnyCrow

B-Man2

Steve
Do you happen to know what the numbers on the sides of these whistles represent ?

I don't know but I believe they were private purchase in England. I don't think issue items and more a squadron culture thing, meaning some had them and some not.

Micawber

I don't know but I believe they were private purchase in England. I don't think issue items and more a squadron culture thing, meaning some had them and some not.
The originals as per my post above above were issued. Think about it, flying over water carries the inherent danger of possibility of having to bale out or ditch an aircraft in the drink. The sound from loud whistles is a more effective attention getter for fellow crewmen or ASR {Air Sea Rescue] purposes than the human voice.

Whistles with fancy engraving [wing and prop etc] could well have been private purchase, rather like Capri Bells etc but are not something I am familiar with.

leper-colony

The originals as per my post above above were issued. Think about it, flying over water carries the inherent danger of possibility of having to bale out or ditch an aircraft in the drink. The sound from loud whistles is a more effective attention getter for fellow crewmen or ASR {Air Sea Rescue] purposes than the human voice.

Whistles with fancy engraving [wing and prop etc] could well have been private purchase, rather like Capri Bells etc but are not something I am familiar with.
In all my years, never seen one like it, so I have my doubts. General whistles, sure.